Jul 5, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, left-hander Erik Bedard has been scratched from Tuesday’s start against Zack Greinke and the Royals due to a stiff shoulder. It was supposed to be his season debut. He is currently being evaluated by team doctors.
Bedard, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last August, posted a 1.64 ERA over three recent minor league rehab appearances. He passed a final test by tossing 4 1/3 shutout innings for Triple-A Tacoma last Thursday. It wasn’t until a recent bullpen session did his shoulder start barking.
“He says he’s still feeling a little bit of discomfort in his
shoulder,” Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu said moments ago. “It kind of
creeped up on him in his last bullpen. We’re going to have him
re-evaluated by the doctor today and we should know a little more later
on this afternoon.”
It’s disappointing, but nobody should be surprised to hear about the setback, given Bedard’s history. The Mariners surely hoped to showcase the left-hander in anticipation of a possible trade before July 31, but the chance that actually happens is pretty much slim to none now.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)