Jul 5, 2010, 8:07 PM EST
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, left-hander Erik Bedard has been scratched from Tuesday’s start against Zack Greinke and the Royals due to a stiff shoulder. It was supposed to be his season debut. He is currently being evaluated by team doctors.
Bedard, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last August, posted a 1.64 ERA over three recent minor league rehab appearances. He passed a final test by tossing 4 1/3 shutout innings for Triple-A Tacoma last Thursday. It wasn’t until a recent bullpen session did his shoulder start barking.
“He says he’s still feeling a little bit of discomfort in his
shoulder,” Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu said moments ago. “It kind of
creeped up on him in his last bullpen. We’re going to have him
re-evaluated by the doctor today and we should know a little more later
on this afternoon.”
It’s disappointing, but nobody should be surprised to hear about the setback, given Bedard’s history. The Mariners surely hoped to showcase the left-hander in anticipation of a possible trade before July 31, but the chance that actually happens is pretty much slim to none now.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 9
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 60
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)