Jul 5, 2010, 8:07 PM EDT
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, left-hander Erik Bedard has been scratched from Tuesday’s start against Zack Greinke and the Royals due to a stiff shoulder. It was supposed to be his season debut. He is currently being evaluated by team doctors.
Bedard, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery last August, posted a 1.64 ERA over three recent minor league rehab appearances. He passed a final test by tossing 4 1/3 shutout innings for Triple-A Tacoma last Thursday. It wasn’t until a recent bullpen session did his shoulder start barking.
“He says he’s still feeling a little bit of discomfort in his
shoulder,” Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu said moments ago. “It kind of
creeped up on him in his last bullpen. We’re going to have him
re-evaluated by the doctor today and we should know a little more later
on this afternoon.”
It’s disappointing, but nobody should be surprised to hear about the setback, given Bedard’s history. The Mariners surely hoped to showcase the left-hander in anticipation of a possible trade before July 31, but the chance that actually happens is pretty much slim to none now.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)