Jul 5, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
It’s being reported that Geoff Jenkins will announce his retirement this Friday. Jenkins will sign a one day contract in Milwaukee so he can retire as a Brewer. And thank God for that. Because it would be a travesty if history remembered Geoff Jenkins in the uniform of the, um . . . he played in Philly for a while, right? Or was it Baltimore?
Look, I don’t mean to pick on Jenkins. He was a pretty decent player for a good many years, and I’m happy that he’s getting to do what he wants to do. I’m sure the Milwaukee fans will be happy about it to because he’s popular there. But would he be any less popular and would that history in Milwaukee be somehow sullied if he didn’t do the symbolic one-day deal? Of course he wouldn’t.
I guess it’s all harmless, but this one-day contract shtick is just so gimmicky and silly and . . . footbally. I get it for future Hall of Famers who spent some part of their late career as nomads, but the fact that I had to actually look up to see where Jenkins played other than Milwaukee is a testament to the needlessness of this sort of thing.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 0
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)