Jul 5, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
It’s being reported that Geoff Jenkins will announce his retirement this Friday. Jenkins will sign a one day contract in Milwaukee so he can retire as a Brewer. And thank God for that. Because it would be a travesty if history remembered Geoff Jenkins in the uniform of the, um . . . he played in Philly for a while, right? Or was it Baltimore?
Look, I don’t mean to pick on Jenkins. He was a pretty decent player for a good many years, and I’m happy that he’s getting to do what he wants to do. I’m sure the Milwaukee fans will be happy about it to because he’s popular there. But would he be any less popular and would that history in Milwaukee be somehow sullied if he didn’t do the symbolic one-day deal? Of course he wouldn’t.
I guess it’s all harmless, but this one-day contract shtick is just so gimmicky and silly and . . . footbally. I get it for future Hall of Famers who spent some part of their late career as nomads, but the fact that I had to actually look up to see where Jenkins played other than Milwaukee is a testament to the needlessness of this sort of thing.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)