Jul 5, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s being reported that Geoff Jenkins will announce his retirement this Friday. Jenkins will sign a one day contract in Milwaukee so he can retire as a Brewer. And thank God for that. Because it would be a travesty if history remembered Geoff Jenkins in the uniform of the, um . . . he played in Philly for a while, right? Or was it Baltimore?
Look, I don’t mean to pick on Jenkins. He was a pretty decent player for a good many years, and I’m happy that he’s getting to do what he wants to do. I’m sure the Milwaukee fans will be happy about it to because he’s popular there. But would he be any less popular and would that history in Milwaukee be somehow sullied if he didn’t do the symbolic one-day deal? Of course he wouldn’t.
I guess it’s all harmless, but this one-day contract shtick is just so gimmicky and silly and . . . footbally. I get it for future Hall of Famers who spent some part of their late career as nomads, but the fact that I had to actually look up to see where Jenkins played other than Milwaukee is a testament to the needlessness of this sort of thing.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)