Jul 5, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s being reported that Geoff Jenkins will announce his retirement this Friday. Jenkins will sign a one day contract in Milwaukee so he can retire as a Brewer. And thank God for that. Because it would be a travesty if history remembered Geoff Jenkins in the uniform of the, um . . . he played in Philly for a while, right? Or was it Baltimore?
Look, I don’t mean to pick on Jenkins. He was a pretty decent player for a good many years, and I’m happy that he’s getting to do what he wants to do. I’m sure the Milwaukee fans will be happy about it to because he’s popular there. But would he be any less popular and would that history in Milwaukee be somehow sullied if he didn’t do the symbolic one-day deal? Of course he wouldn’t.
I guess it’s all harmless, but this one-day contract shtick is just so gimmicky and silly and . . . footbally. I get it for future Hall of Famers who spent some part of their late career as nomads, but the fact that I had to actually look up to see where Jenkins played other than Milwaukee is a testament to the needlessness of this sort of thing.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)