Jul 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EST
It’s entirely possible that someone else thought of pitting four giant plush mascots against one another in between-inning footraces before the Brewers did it with their sausage guys, but Milwaukee has always done it the best. And, inevitably, it has led to copycats. Giant president heads race in Washington. Hot dogs race in Cleveland. Tools race in Atlanta (really, Home Depot sponsors it and everything; one of the guys who dresses up even reads this blog!). I’m sure there are others.
The latest is in Arizona, where they unleashed a Legends Race over the weekend. The gimmick: the race takes place between giant caricatures of Randy Johnson, Mark Grace, Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams. The fact that all four of those dudes were as slow as molasses makes it all the more delicious. What, no Tony Womack?
Anyway, Randy Johnson won the first one. I’m assuming the egos of the players involved will not allow the Dbacks to do with these races what other teams do with theirs in constantly gaming it so that one of the mascots never wins (e.g. Teddy Roosevelt for the Nats). If they do it with anyone it should be Mark Grace, though, considering he’s a smoker. Having him hack his way to fourth place every night would probably send a good message out there to the kids, ya know?
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)