Jul 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EST
It’s entirely possible that someone else thought of pitting four giant plush mascots against one another in between-inning footraces before the Brewers did it with their sausage guys, but Milwaukee has always done it the best. And, inevitably, it has led to copycats. Giant president heads race in Washington. Hot dogs race in Cleveland. Tools race in Atlanta (really, Home Depot sponsors it and everything; one of the guys who dresses up even reads this blog!). I’m sure there are others.
The latest is in Arizona, where they unleashed a Legends Race over the weekend. The gimmick: the race takes place between giant caricatures of Randy Johnson, Mark Grace, Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams. The fact that all four of those dudes were as slow as molasses makes it all the more delicious. What, no Tony Womack?
Anyway, Randy Johnson won the first one. I’m assuming the egos of the players involved will not allow the Dbacks to do with these races what other teams do with theirs in constantly gaming it so that one of the mascots never wins (e.g. Teddy Roosevelt for the Nats). If they do it with anyone it should be Mark Grace, though, considering he’s a smoker. Having him hack his way to fourth place every night would probably send a good message out there to the kids, ya know?
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 5
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 9
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 25
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)