Jul 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
It’s entirely possible that someone else thought of pitting four giant plush mascots against one another in between-inning footraces before the Brewers did it with their sausage guys, but Milwaukee has always done it the best. And, inevitably, it has led to copycats. Giant president heads race in Washington. Hot dogs race in Cleveland. Tools race in Atlanta (really, Home Depot sponsors it and everything; one of the guys who dresses up even reads this blog!). I’m sure there are others.
The latest is in Arizona, where they unleashed a Legends Race over the weekend. The gimmick: the race takes place between giant caricatures of Randy Johnson, Mark Grace, Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams. The fact that all four of those dudes were as slow as molasses makes it all the more delicious. What, no Tony Womack?
Anyway, Randy Johnson won the first one. I’m assuming the egos of the players involved will not allow the Dbacks to do with these races what other teams do with theirs in constantly gaming it so that one of the mascots never wins (e.g. Teddy Roosevelt for the Nats). If they do it with anyone it should be Mark Grace, though, considering he’s a smoker. Having him hack his way to fourth place every night would probably send a good message out there to the kids, ya know?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)