Jul 5, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Hope you all had a great Fourth of July! In honor of our Nation’s
put my daughter in the cap of a defunct Canadian baseball team
before heading out to the Independence Day parade. And my birthday is on
Bastille Day, so yes, I am a double agent for Francophones the world
over. You got a problem with that?
- The Nationals sign El Duque. I guess Livan Hernandez has a lot of pull with the front office.
- The Phillies are in on the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. Desperate times, desperate measures.
- A few weeks ago New York columnists wouldn’t know who R.A. Dickey was if he fell out of the sky landed on their face and started to wiggle. Now he should be an All-Star. Makes sense.
- Barry Zito wouldn’t mind seeing Prince Fielder in San Francisco. Which, I imagine, could happen if the Giants didn’t have to pay elevnty gajillion dollars to Barry Zito for the next few years.
- Bengie Molina learned about his trade to the Rangers from teammates as opposed to the team. Of course, we already knew that Brian Sabean isn’t exactly The Great Communicator, so this shouldn’t be a surprise.
- Carlos Beltran is coming back July 15th. Anyone with a brain knew this (i.e. after the break) was probably when he’d come back. Didn’t stop Jerry Manuel from telling people he’d be back weeks ago.
- Not the best outing for Stephen Strasburg. He didn’t have his best stuff and likely pitched himself out of the All-Star Game. I think he was one of the few guys who looked pretty good in those white hats, though, and that has to count for something.
- Manny Ramirez goes on the disabled list. I like Manny and all, but reporting on his every move seems like something we don’t really need to be doing anymore. In terms of relevance, it’s kind of like talking about the latest Blink 182 record or the next “Lord of the Rings” movie or something.
- Thome passes Killebrew on the all time home run list. Wait, those are two different guys?
- For it’s one! Two! Three balls you’re walked, at the old . . . ball . . . game!
I’m all screwed up on whether or not today is a holiday. The libraries and banks and government offices are all closed, but my wife is working and my kids’ little day camps are open. Further screwing me up is that fireworks in my little village were Saturday — not yesterday — and the big fireworks in downtown Columbus were Friday — again, not yesterday. Basically, I’ve lost all sense of time, space and the calendar.
Whatever. We’re posting today. How much we post may be impacted by whether or not baseball’s newsmakers consider it a holiday and whether or not my temporal vertigo leads me to say “screw it” and start cracking beers at 2pm. Either way, we’ll get through this together.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 8
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 94
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (94)