Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
Sent back to Triple-A last month following Mike Stanton’s arrival, Cameron Maybin took the demotion in stride by going 10-for-28 (.357) with five walks and two steals in his first eight games.
Unfortunately he hasn’t played since last Thursday because of a left shoulder injury that landed Maybin on the Triple-A disabled list and has him headed to Miami to be examined by team doctors.
Maybin had surgery on the same shoulder in November and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that it “has bothered him a for most of the season.” Maybin hit just .225/.290/.341 with an ugly 56/14 K/BB ratio in 51 games before being sent down.
Stanton has actually been even worse by hitting .207/.258/.317 with a 35/6 K/BB ratio in 21 games–including 10-for-63 (.159) with 28 strikeouts since a good first week–and manager Edwin Rodriguez said the 20-year-old slugger “is rushing too much” and “putting pressure on himself” while “missing pitches we all know he should be hitting.”
High strikeout rates were the red flags for Stanton while he destroyed minor-league pitching, so “missing pitches” could be a long-term issue and certainly figured to be a struggle after rushing him to the majors at age 20. However, even if Maybin didn’t have the shoulder problems it’s unclear if the Marlins would consider reversing the switch.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)