Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
Sent back to Triple-A last month following Mike Stanton’s arrival, Cameron Maybin took the demotion in stride by going 10-for-28 (.357) with five walks and two steals in his first eight games.
Unfortunately he hasn’t played since last Thursday because of a left shoulder injury that landed Maybin on the Triple-A disabled list and has him headed to Miami to be examined by team doctors.
Maybin had surgery on the same shoulder in November and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that it “has bothered him a for most of the season.” Maybin hit just .225/.290/.341 with an ugly 56/14 K/BB ratio in 51 games before being sent down.
Stanton has actually been even worse by hitting .207/.258/.317 with a 35/6 K/BB ratio in 21 games–including 10-for-63 (.159) with 28 strikeouts since a good first week–and manager Edwin Rodriguez said the 20-year-old slugger “is rushing too much” and “putting pressure on himself” while “missing pitches we all know he should be hitting.”
High strikeout rates were the red flags for Stanton while he destroyed minor-league pitching, so “missing pitches” could be a long-term issue and certainly figured to be a struggle after rushing him to the majors at age 20. However, even if Maybin didn’t have the shoulder problems it’s unclear if the Marlins would consider reversing the switch.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)