Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
Sent back to Triple-A last month following Mike Stanton’s arrival, Cameron Maybin took the demotion in stride by going 10-for-28 (.357) with five walks and two steals in his first eight games.
Unfortunately he hasn’t played since last Thursday because of a left shoulder injury that landed Maybin on the Triple-A disabled list and has him headed to Miami to be examined by team doctors.
Maybin had surgery on the same shoulder in November and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that it “has bothered him a for most of the season.” Maybin hit just .225/.290/.341 with an ugly 56/14 K/BB ratio in 51 games before being sent down.
Stanton has actually been even worse by hitting .207/.258/.317 with a 35/6 K/BB ratio in 21 games–including 10-for-63 (.159) with 28 strikeouts since a good first week–and manager Edwin Rodriguez said the 20-year-old slugger “is rushing too much” and “putting pressure on himself” while “missing pitches we all know he should be hitting.”
High strikeout rates were the red flags for Stanton while he destroyed minor-league pitching, so “missing pitches” could be a long-term issue and certainly figured to be a struggle after rushing him to the majors at age 20. However, even if Maybin didn’t have the shoulder problems it’s unclear if the Marlins would consider reversing the switch.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)