Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
Sent back to Triple-A last month following Mike Stanton’s arrival, Cameron Maybin took the demotion in stride by going 10-for-28 (.357) with five walks and two steals in his first eight games.
Unfortunately he hasn’t played since last Thursday because of a left shoulder injury that landed Maybin on the Triple-A disabled list and has him headed to Miami to be examined by team doctors.
Maybin had surgery on the same shoulder in November and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that it “has bothered him a for most of the season.” Maybin hit just .225/.290/.341 with an ugly 56/14 K/BB ratio in 51 games before being sent down.
Stanton has actually been even worse by hitting .207/.258/.317 with a 35/6 K/BB ratio in 21 games–including 10-for-63 (.159) with 28 strikeouts since a good first week–and manager Edwin Rodriguez said the 20-year-old slugger “is rushing too much” and “putting pressure on himself” while “missing pitches we all know he should be hitting.”
High strikeout rates were the red flags for Stanton while he destroyed minor-league pitching, so “missing pitches” could be a long-term issue and certainly figured to be a struggle after rushing him to the majors at age 20. However, even if Maybin didn’t have the shoulder problems it’s unclear if the Marlins would consider reversing the switch.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (77)