Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM EST
Sent back to Triple-A last month following Mike Stanton’s arrival, Cameron Maybin took the demotion in stride by going 10-for-28 (.357) with five walks and two steals in his first eight games.
Unfortunately he hasn’t played since last Thursday because of a left shoulder injury that landed Maybin on the Triple-A disabled list and has him headed to Miami to be examined by team doctors.
Maybin had surgery on the same shoulder in November and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that it “has bothered him a for most of the season.” Maybin hit just .225/.290/.341 with an ugly 56/14 K/BB ratio in 51 games before being sent down.
Stanton has actually been even worse by hitting .207/.258/.317 with a 35/6 K/BB ratio in 21 games–including 10-for-63 (.159) with 28 strikeouts since a good first week–and manager Edwin Rodriguez said the 20-year-old slugger “is rushing too much” and “putting pressure on himself” while “missing pitches we all know he should be hitting.”
High strikeout rates were the red flags for Stanton while he destroyed minor-league pitching, so “missing pitches” could be a long-term issue and certainly figured to be a struggle after rushing him to the majors at age 20. However, even if Maybin didn’t have the shoulder problems it’s unclear if the Marlins would consider reversing the switch.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)