Jul 5, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney says that Buck Showalter is the “heavy, heavy” favorite to be the Orioles’ next manager and handicapped the race thusly: “Showalter 1:2, Eric Wedge 6:1, Rick Dempsey 50:1, others 100:1.”
For his part, Heyman thinks Wedge is the favorite, though wouldn’t be surprised if Showalter got the gig.
Olney used to cover the Orioles at the Baltimore Sun and it wouldn’t shock me if he had better inside information on this. Not that we’re dealing in state secrets here: Showalter and Wedge have been the two highest-profile interviews thus far. Not counting Bobby Valentine anyway, who has pulled himself out of the race.
I’ve said before that I’m not overly impressed with Buck Showalter — he gets too much credit for bringing up the mid-90s Yankees — but he seems like the best choice out of those being considered.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)