Jul 5, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney says that Buck Showalter is the “heavy, heavy” favorite to be the Orioles’ next manager and handicapped the race thusly: “Showalter 1:2, Eric Wedge 6:1, Rick Dempsey 50:1, others 100:1.”
For his part, Heyman thinks Wedge is the favorite, though wouldn’t be surprised if Showalter got the gig.
Olney used to cover the Orioles at the Baltimore Sun and it wouldn’t shock me if he had better inside information on this. Not that we’re dealing in state secrets here: Showalter and Wedge have been the two highest-profile interviews thus far. Not counting Bobby Valentine anyway, who has pulled himself out of the race.
I’ve said before that I’m not overly impressed with Buck Showalter — he gets too much credit for bringing up the mid-90s Yankees — but he seems like the best choice out of those being considered.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 222
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)