Quote of the Day: All-Star snub edition

Jul 5, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT

When a guy says "and you can quote me on that" there's about a 99% chance that he's quote-of-the-day material.

“It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. You can quote
me on that.”

Joe Saunders of the Los Angeles Angels on teammate Jered Weaver not making the All-Star team.

I want to get worked up over the snubs — especially the Omar Infante inclusion and Joey Votto exclusion — but I really can’t. It’d be one thing if what happened this year was some freak occurrence, but it’s not. Snubs and oddball inclusions happen every single year. Maybe not as odd as Infante, but this stuff always goes down.

Managers pick their guys to keep team harmony intact (e.g. Ryan Howard and Alex Rodriguez’s selections). Guys get picked because baseball has decided that the All-Star game is like Little League and every team needs a participant.  There are approximately 125 pitchers on each team.  The rules don’t allow for a natural roster construction, so we can’t really expect to have a natural or even a logical roster.  Someone is going to get left out. Probably lots of someones. It’s the nature of the beast.

And ultimately, you have to wonder how much it matters. Sure, I feel bad for youngish guys like Votto and Weaver who get boned out of a fun time and the experience, but I always wonder if older snubs like Kevin Youkilis and Dan Uggla wouldn’t rather just avoid the ten hours in a plane and get the extra days off to hang out with their family and friends back home.

And besides, maybe we’ll get something fun out of all this craziness (and the All-Star Game is a lot of things, but rarely is it fun anymore). For example, though I won’t defend his selection for a millisecond, how cool would it be if Infante ended up being the game’s MVP or something?

1. Old Gator - Jul 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM

“And ultimately, you have to wonder how much it matters.”
    …C. Calcaterra
    “It doesn’t.”
    ….Sri Ramarakrishna
    Ommmmmmmmmmmm…..

2. Jack Marshall - Jul 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM

When the two teams actually try to win, the All-Star game IS fun. And as a kid growing up rooting for a team that was always lousy, that one rep made all the difference. Make the managers mange to win, and forget about getting everyone on the field. A game with the best (or a good proportion of the best) talents in baseball isn’t hard to make “fun.” If MLB could remember that the game is for the fans, not the players (and not the sportswriters), all would be well.

3. APBA Guy - Jul 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I think the only people who get really worked up about the all-star game are the teams that profit from it and journalists. And maybe Joey Votto. He really went off on that called 3rd strike.
    For the rest of us, 3 days to watch the Tour de France.

4. Wooden U Lykteneau - Jul 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM

If you’re old enough to remember when the All-Star game meant something, you’re old.

5. Gorbachav5 - Jul 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I just feel bad for Weaver. He’s one of the top three pitchers in the A.L., it’s in his home ballpark, and it’s even in his homeTOWN (more or less). I think you could have made a legitimate argument for him to start, and he didn’t even make the team. He’s never made the game before, and yet Sabathia gets picked. It’s ridiculous.

6. CYGNUS X-1 - Jul 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

look I know pujos is the man with the name but to leave votto off is just stupid.his stats are the same if not better and he deserves to be there if not first base then dh

7. CYGNUS X-1 - Jul 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I always wondered even back in the day when they were not playing the game for home field advantage why they just did not expand the rosters?I mean for 1 exhibition game it would not hurt the game and fans could still pick the starters without hearing how stupid we are from the writers.the managers could pick the rest of the roster and while everyone might not get to play at least they can say they were all stars

8. Steve A - Jul 5, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Haven’t all of the recent ones (since 2003) meant something?
    This One Counts

9. Steve A - Jul 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Haven’t all of the games since 2003 meant something?
    This One Counts