Jul 5, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
It’s not easy being a Phillies fan at the moment. The team keeps losing, half the infield is injured and your manager is doing crazy stuff like naming Omar Infante and Ryan Howard to the All-Star team instead of Joey Votto. Chaos, basically.
Then you have to wake up on a fine Monday morning and read that your team is seriously considering a trade for the Royals’ Willie Bloomquist.
Look, I like Willie Bloomquist in a Jose Oquendo kind of way. He plays every position. He’s also fast and is, by all accounts a nice guy. But the man has zero pop and at his best — his absolute best — he’s a poor on-base guy. Useful? I guess he is inasmuch as his versatility could help prevent a forfeit if the rest of the team suffers from some staggered food poisoning event or something. But really, he’s like a Swiss Army knife with three dull blades, rusty scissors and a broken corkscrew. He does a million things, only none of them well.
Chase Utley is going to be gone for a long time. Placido Polanco is still out. At the moment the Phillies are running out a handful of career minor leaguers out there in their place. Just because the Mariners and Royals were too dumb to realize that Bloomquist should have spent more time at AAA doesn’t make him any different.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)