Jul 5, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
It’s not easy being a Phillies fan at the moment. The team keeps losing, half the infield is injured and your manager is doing crazy stuff like naming Omar Infante and Ryan Howard to the All-Star team instead of Joey Votto. Chaos, basically.
Then you have to wake up on a fine Monday morning and read that your team is seriously considering a trade for the Royals’ Willie Bloomquist.
Look, I like Willie Bloomquist in a Jose Oquendo kind of way. He plays every position. He’s also fast and is, by all accounts a nice guy. But the man has zero pop and at his best — his absolute best — he’s a poor on-base guy. Useful? I guess he is inasmuch as his versatility could help prevent a forfeit if the rest of the team suffers from some staggered food poisoning event or something. But really, he’s like a Swiss Army knife with three dull blades, rusty scissors and a broken corkscrew. He does a million things, only none of them well.
Chase Utley is going to be gone for a long time. Placido Polanco is still out. At the moment the Phillies are running out a handful of career minor leaguers out there in their place. Just because the Mariners and Royals were too dumb to realize that Bloomquist should have spent more time at AAA doesn’t make him any different.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)