Jul 5, 2010, 3:46 PM EST
Named to his fourth All-Star game as the Angels’ only representative yesterday afternoon, Torii Hunter homered twice and drove in seven runs last night in a blowout win that will probably keep the Royals from being on national television again until approximately 2050.
It was the second time Hunter has had seven RBIs in a game, which makes him one of just 77 players in baseball history to knock in seven or more runs multiple times.
Lou Gehrig is the all-time leader with nine games of seven or more RBIs, which is of course ridiculous given that Alex Rodriguez and Jimmie Foxx are tied for second place … with five such games. The man Gehrig batted behind in the Yankees’ lineup, Babe Ruth, is next with four.
As for Hunter, he’s having the best season of his career at age 34, hitting .294/.376/.522 with 14 homers while on pace for career-highs in on-base percentage, OPS, RBIs, runs, doubles, and perhaps most remarkably, walks. Always a free-swinger, Hunter has already drawn 37 free passes in 79 games and is within 13 walks of his career-high.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)