Jul 6, 2010, 3:27 PM EDT
Former Dbacks’ skipper A.J. Hinch was on KTAR radio in Phoenix yesterday talking about getting axed. He’s mostly diplomatic, talking about how wins and losses are all that matter, but there are times when it seems pretty clear that he resents the fact that his team basically mutinied on him right after he got the job. Stuff like this:
Handling players, getting people to calm down, I wish I would’ve
been able to do that quicker last summer and been able to move on. … For
the first part of my tenure, it wasn’t about the baseball. It was about
my age and my inexperience as a manager and the hostility on our team.
I don’t know that there’s any way to deal with that kind of skepticism other than to win like a mofo right out of the box. Hinch’s Dbacks lost six of his first seven games, and you can bet that by game five the “who in the hell does this guy think he is” meme had taken hold pretty firmly.
Like I said last week: hiring Hinch was unconventional thinking. I kind of like unconventional thinking so part of me wanted to see the Dbacks’ little experiment succed, but baseball in general does not. Hinch was probably doomed from the get-go, and as a result, I bet we don’t see a team hire someone without either coaching or managing experience again for a long, long time.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)