As the Carlos Beltran turns: he may be activated this week

Jul 6, 2010, 10:09 AM EDT

Either Jerry Manuel is helplessly out of the loop, or else the Mets are profoundly schizophrenic about when Carlos Beltran is going to be activated.

First, Manuel said he could be back for the Marlins in
Puerto Rico
. That obviously didn’t happen.  Then it was suggested that the Reds series this week.  Then the team said that it would be after the All-Star break.  Now Manuel is saying it could be later this week for the Braves series. At this point I don’t think we have any rational way to tell when he’ll be activated short of seeing him actually run out onto the field at the beginning of a game.

The suspense is killing me.  I hope it lasts.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Just shows how dysfunctional the Mutts organization still is…that’s why even though the Phillies are playing like crap, and are missing half their starting line-up, I have no worries as long as a team like the Mutts are leading the WC standings. And as I have said before, Beltran is a team-killer and they will tank even worse once he comes back. Once the Three Chokesketeers get back together(Reyes, Wright and Beltran), they will fall faster than a mob snitch with a pair of concrete slippers thrown into the Hudson River.

2. Simon DelMonte - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM

When he’s back, he’s back. I don’t mind waiting a little longer. There’s no rush, anyway, since he isn’t going to solve the more glaring pitching problems the Mets have and since Pagan is still doing nicely.

3. Jonny5 - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Umm, Beltran is not a team killer. Beltran is a guy who can carry a team, he was hitting .325 before being injured last season. As a Philly fan I also would love to see him DL’d as long as he wears a mutts uniform. He’s a multiple MVP, GG, AS, and SS nominee, and you call him a team killer? Please.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Jonny5, as a fellow Phillies fan, you give Beltran way too much respect. Along with Wright and Reyes, he forms the core of a team that has CHOKED the last 3 years. Once he returns, it doesn’t matter what he HITS…the team will fold. Mark it down.

5. Jonny5 - Jul 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I hope you’re correct. Not that I expect him to be 100% for awhile, but I think he’s very capable of boosting this team.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We Phillies fans have to relax about the stinking Mutts. They will begin to fold like a cheap suit very quickly. Even though Amaro severly screwed up the team with the Cliff Lee give-away, even he couldn’t make them worse than either the Cowards or the Mutts. Come mid-July, the Phillies will once again take their rightful place atop the NL East.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto