Jul 6, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of the Merc reports that Giants GM Brian Sabean met up with the team in Milwaukee yesterday. One of two possibilities: (a) he’s there to scout and discuss a deal with the Brewers; or (b) he brought along the proton packs in order to bust the ghosts over at the Pfister. Assuming for a second that he’s not battling Zuul or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, what could he be thinking about accomplishing with the Brewers?
One possibility is Prince Fielder. There are no reports of any progress on the contract extension front and now that Barry Zito is cool with it — whew! — the Prince might fit in quite nicely at first base for the Giants. A more realistic possibility is Corey Hart. It’s been reported that the Giants are “very interested” in him. Worth noting, however, that people who know the Giants better are saying a deal is not likely anytime soon.
Still, it’s worth noting Sabean’s presence in Milwaukee. Word on the street is that he’s a hard man to reach. If he’s making himself available like this it must be for a good reason, right?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)