Jul 6, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
We probably should have known as much, but FanHouse’s Jeff
Fletcher reports that Bud Selig said today that he’s “comfortable” with no further
expansion of instant replay.
Which means he’s comfortable with blown calls that don’t need to be blown. He’s comfortable with pennant races and possibly playoff games altered as a result of an inability to overrule obvious mistakes from an increasingly fallible umpire corps. He’s comfortable with baseball becoming the object of ridicule the next time some high profile gaffe occurs in which millions see what should have happened but the four men in blue who missed it aren’t allowed to see it themselves.
I’m sorry, but this is unacceptable. I am all for tradition and conservatism and incremental change when it comes to baseball, but at some point the burden of proof shifted from those who wanted instant replay to make its case for such a beast to those who would deny all sense and all technology to prevent its implementation to make theirs.
I don’t care if Bud Selig is comfortable. I want to hear from him why we should be comfortable in allowing baseball to continue to ignore reality and technology and stick with a system that gave us the Galarraga call and so many mistakes last fall.
I don’t think he has a good reason.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 3
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 127
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (127)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)