Jul 6, 2010, 4:15 PM EST
We probably should have known as much, but FanHouse’s Jeff
Fletcher reports that Bud Selig said today that he’s “comfortable” with no further
expansion of instant replay.
Which means he’s comfortable with blown calls that don’t need to be blown. He’s comfortable with pennant races and possibly playoff games altered as a result of an inability to overrule obvious mistakes from an increasingly fallible umpire corps. He’s comfortable with baseball becoming the object of ridicule the next time some high profile gaffe occurs in which millions see what should have happened but the four men in blue who missed it aren’t allowed to see it themselves.
I’m sorry, but this is unacceptable. I am all for tradition and conservatism and incremental change when it comes to baseball, but at some point the burden of proof shifted from those who wanted instant replay to make its case for such a beast to those who would deny all sense and all technology to prevent its implementation to make theirs.
I don’t care if Bud Selig is comfortable. I want to hear from him why we should be comfortable in allowing baseball to continue to ignore reality and technology and stick with a system that gave us the Galarraga call and so many mistakes last fall.
I don’t think he has a good reason.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 230
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (228)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)