Dallas Braden doesn't like the "Get off my mound" shirts. Pardon me, your majesty

Jul 6, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

We passed along word last week that the A’s were selling “Get off my mound” t-shirts in honor of the Yankees’ return to Oakland.  Sounded like a great idea to me in a fun, self-effacing kind of way. But apparently they don’t do self-deprecation in the 209, because Dallas Braden hates the shirts:

“They’re trying to generate revenue, trying to get butts in the seats, I
can see that. It’s almost like, at what cost do you do
that? They didn’t have permission. They were told on multiple occasions
that, no, it’s not a good idea. It’s not going to be approved. They just
kind of put the horse-blinders on and ran with it . . . . . It’s just not cool. It’s just a serious, gross lack of tact. At the end
of the day, I hope I do not become associated with that kind of
approach.”

Hey Dallas: if you didn’t want to be “associated with that kind of approach,” perhaps you shouldn’t have barked like some kind of loon about the sanctity of Greater Bradenia. As it is, you made a fool out of yourself and everyone is having fun with it now. Even A-Rod who, according to the Daily News article linked above, got a big laugh out of the fact that Robby Cano wore one of the shirts in the clubhouse before the game in order to taunt him.

Upon closer reading it’s hard to tell if Braden’s displeasure is about the shirt itself or if he’s really upset that it’s not MLBPA approved and thus (a) does not have his name and likeness on it; and (b) he does not get a cut of the sales.  Probably a little of both.  Which means that he’s got no sense of humor and that he’s trying to cover his business savvy with a mock (or at least mockable) sense of decorum.

Of course if Braden really wanted to get in on the shirt money, I’m assuming he could have told the MLBPA that he was all for it, they would have approved it and he’d have some extra dough.  So this probably is more a matter of Braden being embarrassed about the whole “get off my mound” incident than it is a business thing.

In which case I’d advise him that one looks pretty silly trying to distance oneself from one’s own words in the space of a couple of months. Better to just own it dude.

1. nps6724 - Jul 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM

What a whiny choad.

2. Jonny5 - Jul 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM

No one should ever listen to this guy. I mean he has his area code tatooed on himself. Seriously, people, stop listening to the complete idiot. Ok?

3. CYGNUS X-1 - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM

so if he was a jerk for saying it in the first place maybe he just wants to put it behind him and move on.he has done something since then like pitch a no hitter,maybe he would like to be remembered for that instead.

4. JCD - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Seriously, he sounds to me like he feels the shirt is making fun of something that he found to be a big deal and he doesn’t appreciate it. I don’t get the money-grubbing aspect at all, simply that he doesn’t want to trivialize what he thought, and apparently still thinks, was a big deal.

5. Maxa - Jul 6, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I guess it’s not surprising that Braden isn’t able laugh at himself.

6. Infinite Wisdom - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Maybe they should make a t-shirt quoting his grandma’s ridiculous comments about A-Rod.. What did she say, “Stick it, A-Rod” or something? Classy woman. Enjoy your grandson’s 5 minutes of fame. Isn’t he like, 0-4 since then? If he ever wins 10 games in a season, I will be blown away. Sorry.. the perfect game was as fluky as a perfect game can be.

7. 27xchamps - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM

How many rings does this guy have??

8. Pisano - Jul 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Two words describe him : whack job . Does anyone know which trailer park he lives in?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3388)