Jul 6, 2010, 9:34 PM EST
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants are “focusing on” acquiring Corey Hart from the Brewers.
Just yesterday, Schulman told us that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and one of his top scouts Lee Elder were in Milwaukee, “perhaps scouting trade targets Corey Hart, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun.” With the other two a relative pipe dream, it’s no surprise to learn that Hart is their primary and realistic target.
Tonight, Schulman writes that the Giants “would love” to have Hart in their outfield, but are unsure whether the Brewers have decided to trade him or not. The Brewers are currently 37-46, on the fringes of contention in the National League. Also, the 28-year-old outfielder is under team control for one more season.
Hart, 28, enters play Tuesday batting .288/.350/.573 over his first 281 at-bats this season. The two-time All-Star currently ranks third in the National League with 19 homers, second with 61 RBI and eighth with a 923 OPS.
Naturally, he won’t come cheap. For what it’s worth, Schulman believes Hart would cost (Jonathan) Sanchez plus another piece. That would be quite a nice get for someone who was essentially a platoon player at the start of the season.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)