Jul 6, 2010, 9:34 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants are “focusing on” acquiring Corey Hart from the Brewers.
Just yesterday, Schulman told us that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and one of his top scouts Lee Elder were in Milwaukee, “perhaps scouting trade targets Corey Hart, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun.” With the other two a relative pipe dream, it’s no surprise to learn that Hart is their primary and realistic target.
Tonight, Schulman writes that the Giants “would love” to have Hart in their outfield, but are unsure whether the Brewers have decided to trade him or not. The Brewers are currently 37-46, on the fringes of contention in the National League. Also, the 28-year-old outfielder is under team control for one more season.
Hart, 28, enters play Tuesday batting .288/.350/.573 over his first 281 at-bats this season. The two-time All-Star currently ranks third in the National League with 19 homers, second with 61 RBI and eighth with a 923 OPS.
Naturally, he won’t come cheap. For what it’s worth, Schulman believes Hart would cost (Jonathan) Sanchez plus another piece. That would be quite a nice get for someone who was essentially a platoon player at the start of the season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 20
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)