Jul 6, 2010, 9:34 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle hears that the Giants are “focusing on” acquiring Corey Hart from the Brewers.
Just yesterday, Schulman told us that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and one of his top scouts Lee Elder were in Milwaukee, “perhaps scouting trade targets Corey Hart, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun.” With the other two a relative pipe dream, it’s no surprise to learn that Hart is their primary and realistic target.
Tonight, Schulman writes that the Giants “would love” to have Hart in their outfield, but are unsure whether the Brewers have decided to trade him or not. The Brewers are currently 37-46, on the fringes of contention in the National League. Also, the 28-year-old outfielder is under team control for one more season.
Hart, 28, enters play Tuesday batting .288/.350/.573 over his first 281 at-bats this season. The two-time All-Star currently ranks third in the National League with 19 homers, second with 61 RBI and eighth with a 923 OPS.
Naturally, he won’t come cheap. For what it’s worth, Schulman believes Hart would cost (Jonathan) Sanchez plus another piece. That would be quite a nice get for someone who was essentially a platoon player at the start of the season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)