Jul 6, 2010, 4:49 PM EDT
Whatever slim chance the Orioles had of getting anything of value for Kevin Millwood before the trade deadline likely vanished today as he was placed on the disabled list with a strained forearm.
Millwood has allowed 38 runs in 33.2 innings over his last seven starts, including a one-inning, five-run clunker last week after which manager Juan Samuel basically concluded he must have some kind of injury.
Knowing Kevin, he’s not going to tell you what’s wrong and what’s not. He is one of those guys that’s going to take the ball anytime you give it to him. Yes, we have some concern that maybe he pitched a bunch early in the season. Who knows, but we’ll see. We are trying to figure out which way we are going to go with him.
Samuel reportedly had a closed-door meeting with Millwood and apparently convinced him to admit to being hurt and take some time off.
He’s just 2-8 with a 5.88 ERA in 18 starts overall, which certainly isn’t what the Orioles were hoping for when they acquired the impending free agent and his $12 million salary from the Rangers this winter. Since winning the ERA title in 2005 with a 2.86 mark Millwood has a 4.72 ERA in 143 starts, including an ERA above 5.00 in three of the past four seasons.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)