Jul 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
In his first action since being passed over for the All-Star game, Joey Votto homered twice, doubled, and walked last night as the Reds beat the Mets.
I tend not to really care about the All-Star game rosters, because there are bad selections every season, I don’t agree with the focus on first-half performance over multi-year track records, and ultimately everyone will cease caring about the whole thing an hour after the final out, but Votto not making the team would obviously be silly.
He’s now hitting .318 with an NL-leading 21 homers in 78 games, and also leads the league in on-base percentage (.418), slugging percentage (.599), OPS (1.017), total bases (173), and Win Probability Added. Votto ranks third in batting average and runs, fourth in RBIs, fifth in walks, and … well, you get the idea.
Votto has been the best hitter in the league through half of the season and it’s not as if he’s coming out of nowhere with a fluke year. He batted .322/.414/.567 with 25 homers and 38 doubles last season to rank third among NL hitters in OPS and at 26 years old has the ninth-highest career OPS among all active players.
If there’s any justice Votto will either win the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest or at least be added to the NL roster as an injury replacement, because he’s clearly one of the best players in the league and is having an MVP-caliber season for a first-place team.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)