Jul 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
In his first action since being passed over for the All-Star game, Joey Votto homered twice, doubled, and walked last night as the Reds beat the Mets.
I tend not to really care about the All-Star game rosters, because there are bad selections every season, I don’t agree with the focus on first-half performance over multi-year track records, and ultimately everyone will cease caring about the whole thing an hour after the final out, but Votto not making the team would obviously be silly.
He’s now hitting .318 with an NL-leading 21 homers in 78 games, and also leads the league in on-base percentage (.418), slugging percentage (.599), OPS (1.017), total bases (173), and Win Probability Added. Votto ranks third in batting average and runs, fourth in RBIs, fifth in walks, and … well, you get the idea.
Votto has been the best hitter in the league through half of the season and it’s not as if he’s coming out of nowhere with a fluke year. He batted .322/.414/.567 with 25 homers and 38 doubles last season to rank third among NL hitters in OPS and at 26 years old has the ninth-highest career OPS among all active players.
If there’s any justice Votto will either win the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest or at least be added to the NL roster as an injury replacement, because he’s clearly one of the best players in the league and is having an MVP-caliber season for a first-place team.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)