Jul 6, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
In his first action since being passed over for the All-Star game, Joey Votto homered twice, doubled, and walked last night as the Reds beat the Mets.
I tend not to really care about the All-Star game rosters, because there are bad selections every season, I don’t agree with the focus on first-half performance over multi-year track records, and ultimately everyone will cease caring about the whole thing an hour after the final out, but Votto not making the team would obviously be silly.
He’s now hitting .318 with an NL-leading 21 homers in 78 games, and also leads the league in on-base percentage (.418), slugging percentage (.599), OPS (1.017), total bases (173), and Win Probability Added. Votto ranks third in batting average and runs, fourth in RBIs, fifth in walks, and … well, you get the idea.
Votto has been the best hitter in the league through half of the season and it’s not as if he’s coming out of nowhere with a fluke year. He batted .322/.414/.567 with 25 homers and 38 doubles last season to rank third among NL hitters in OPS and at 26 years old has the ninth-highest career OPS among all active players.
If there’s any justice Votto will either win the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest or at least be added to the NL roster as an injury replacement, because he’s clearly one of the best players in the league and is having an MVP-caliber season for a first-place team.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)