Jul 6, 2010, 5:44 PM EST
Josh Beckett threw a 65-pitch simulated game this afternoon at Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay against hitters from the Red Sox’s rookie-ball team, clearing the way for him to begin a rehab assignment Sunday at Triple-A.
Beckett is expected to throw around 70 pitches for Pawtucket and will likely be asked to make at least one more rehab start before potentially coming off the disabled list. He hasn’t pitched since being shut down with back problems following consecutive ugly outings versus the Yankees in mid-May left him with a 7.29 ERA in 45.2 innings.
Barring a setback he may be able to rejoin the rotation shortly after the All-Star break.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)