Jul 6, 2010, 5:44 PM EDT
Josh Beckett threw a 65-pitch simulated game this afternoon at Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay against hitters from the Red Sox’s rookie-ball team, clearing the way for him to begin a rehab assignment Sunday at Triple-A.
Beckett is expected to throw around 70 pitches for Pawtucket and will likely be asked to make at least one more rehab start before potentially coming off the disabled list. He hasn’t pitched since being shut down with back problems following consecutive ugly outings versus the Yankees in mid-May left him with a 7.29 ERA in 45.2 innings.
Barring a setback he may be able to rejoin the rotation shortly after the All-Star break.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him