Jul 6, 2010, 5:44 PM EST
Josh Beckett threw a 65-pitch simulated game this afternoon at Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay against hitters from the Red Sox’s rookie-ball team, clearing the way for him to begin a rehab assignment Sunday at Triple-A.
Beckett is expected to throw around 70 pitches for Pawtucket and will likely be asked to make at least one more rehab start before potentially coming off the disabled list. He hasn’t pitched since being shut down with back problems following consecutive ugly outings versus the Yankees in mid-May left him with a 7.29 ERA in 45.2 innings.
Barring a setback he may be able to rejoin the rotation shortly after the All-Star break.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40