Jul 6, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis is a Cincinnati native and starred at the University of Cincinnati before being drafted by the Red Sox, so the Reds are helping to promote him for the All-Star game in the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest.
In return the Red Sox are doing the same for Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who isn’t a Boston native but is the most deserving of the current All-Star snubs.
As part of the alliance fans can vote for Votto via the Red Sox’s website and Youkilis via the Reds’ website, and both teams will also be trolling for duel votes via Twitter, Facebook, and their television and radio broadcasts. Plus, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com various Reds players plan to wear “Vote Votto-Youkilis” t-shirts during batting practice.
In related news, 1975 was a long time ago.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)