Jul 6, 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis is a Cincinnati native and starred at the University of Cincinnati before being drafted by the Red Sox, so the Reds are helping to promote him for the All-Star game in the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest.
In return the Red Sox are doing the same for Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who isn’t a Boston native but is the most deserving of the current All-Star snubs.
As part of the alliance fans can vote for Votto via the Red Sox’s website and Youkilis via the Reds’ website, and both teams will also be trolling for duel votes via Twitter, Facebook, and their television and radio broadcasts. Plus, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com various Reds players plan to wear “Vote Votto-Youkilis” t-shirts during batting practice.
In related news, 1975 was a long time ago.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)