Jul 6, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
Kevin Youkilis is a Cincinnati native and starred at the University of Cincinnati before being drafted by the Red Sox, so the Reds are helping to promote him for the All-Star game in the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest.
In return the Red Sox are doing the same for Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who isn’t a Boston native but is the most deserving of the current All-Star snubs.
As part of the alliance fans can vote for Votto via the Red Sox’s website and Youkilis via the Reds’ website, and both teams will also be trolling for duel votes via Twitter, Facebook, and their television and radio broadcasts. Plus, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com various Reds players plan to wear “Vote Votto-Youkilis” t-shirts during batting practice.
In related news, 1975 was a long time ago.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)