Jul 6, 2010, 12:15 AM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse reports that an “MLB source hears” the Twins have offered outfield prospect Aaron Hicks and catcher prospect Wilson Ramos to the Mariners for Cliff Lee.
As a Twins fan the notion of adding Lee to the rotation for the second half is exciting, but Hicks and Ramos is significantly more than I’d be willing to give up. Coming into the season Baseball America ranked Hicks at the 19th-best prospect in the game and Ramos also cracked their top 100 at No. 58.
For the Twins to give up both of them for a half-season of Lee and a pair of compensatory draft picks when he leaves as a free agent would be very uncharacteristic, not to mention quite a bit more than other rumored packages. And if the Mariners can get a top-25 prospect and a top-75 prospect for Lee perhaps the “Jack Zduriencik is a genius” bandwagon will start filling up again.
UPDATE: LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune chimes in to say: “Nothing close on Lee, a Twins source tells me. Still guessing that talks are fluid.”
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)