Jul 6, 2010, 12:15 AM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse reports that an “MLB source hears” the Twins have offered outfield prospect Aaron Hicks and catcher prospect Wilson Ramos to the Mariners for Cliff Lee.
As a Twins fan the notion of adding Lee to the rotation for the second half is exciting, but Hicks and Ramos is significantly more than I’d be willing to give up. Coming into the season Baseball America ranked Hicks at the 19th-best prospect in the game and Ramos also cracked their top 100 at No. 58.
For the Twins to give up both of them for a half-season of Lee and a pair of compensatory draft picks when he leaves as a free agent would be very uncharacteristic, not to mention quite a bit more than other rumored packages. And if the Mariners can get a top-25 prospect and a top-75 prospect for Lee perhaps the “Jack Zduriencik is a genius” bandwagon will start filling up again.
UPDATE: LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune chimes in to say: “Nothing close on Lee, a Twins source tells me. Still guessing that talks are fluid.”
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)