Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 PM EDT
According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, Shin-Soo Choo may be able to avoid surgery on his right thumb.
Choo sprained his thumb while attempting to make a diving catch against the Athletics last Friday. After being examined by Dr. Thomas Graham at the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday, it was determined that Choo will wear a brace on the thumb for seven to 10 days before being re-evaluated.
If the thumb responds, Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said surgery would not be needed and Choo could return much sooner than the six-to-eight week timetable originally presented over the weekend.
“It’s good news,” manager Manny Acta said. “We’re still going to have to
wait 10 days to see where that takes us. But it will be a great boost
for us if he doesn’t need surgery and we can have him back a lot sooner
than we were anticipating.”
Choo, who turns 28 next week, is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 homers, 43 RBI and 12 stolen bases this season, proving to be one of the few bright spots for the last-place Indians. He was a near-lock to make his first All-Star appearance until his recent injury. With Choo down, right-hander Fausto Carmona will represent the Tribe in Anaheim next week, instead.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 13
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)