Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 PM EST
According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, Shin-Soo Choo may be able to avoid surgery on his right thumb.
Choo sprained his thumb while attempting to make a diving catch against the Athletics last Friday. After being examined by Dr. Thomas Graham at the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday, it was determined that Choo will wear a brace on the thumb for seven to 10 days before being re-evaluated.
If the thumb responds, Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said surgery would not be needed and Choo could return much sooner than the six-to-eight week timetable originally presented over the weekend.
“It’s good news,” manager Manny Acta said. “We’re still going to have to
wait 10 days to see where that takes us. But it will be a great boost
for us if he doesn’t need surgery and we can have him back a lot sooner
than we were anticipating.”
Choo, who turns 28 next week, is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 homers, 43 RBI and 12 stolen bases this season, proving to be one of the few bright spots for the last-place Indians. He was a near-lock to make his first All-Star appearance until his recent injury. With Choo down, right-hander Fausto Carmona will represent the Tribe in Anaheim next week, instead.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)