Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 PM EST
According to Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com, Shin-Soo Choo may be able to avoid surgery on his right thumb.
Choo sprained his thumb while attempting to make a diving catch against the Athletics last Friday. After being examined by Dr. Thomas Graham at the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday, it was determined that Choo will wear a brace on the thumb for seven to 10 days before being re-evaluated.
If the thumb responds, Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said surgery would not be needed and Choo could return much sooner than the six-to-eight week timetable originally presented over the weekend.
“It’s good news,” manager Manny Acta said. “We’re still going to have to
wait 10 days to see where that takes us. But it will be a great boost
for us if he doesn’t need surgery and we can have him back a lot sooner
than we were anticipating.”
Choo, who turns 28 next week, is batting .286/.390/.475 with 13 homers, 43 RBI and 12 stolen bases this season, proving to be one of the few bright spots for the last-place Indians. He was a near-lock to make his first All-Star appearance until his recent injury. With Choo down, right-hander Fausto Carmona will represent the Tribe in Anaheim next week, instead.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)