Jul 6, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The names of some of the participants in this year’s Home Run Derby — the ones who have confirmed already — were just announced. According to Tyler Kepner: David Ortiz, Corey Hart, Robinson Cano, Vernon
Wells, Matt Holliday, Miguel Cabrera will all be doing the back back back back back thing for the amusement of Chris Berman.
No Omar Infante? Maybe he’s just making everyone wait.
Like I said the other day: I’m with Tony La Russa. The Home Run Derby is a flaccid little made-for-TV spectacle. I’m not sure if what people say is true about it messing up guys’ swings, but I can’t see how it can help.
Anyway, that’s not exactly a murderers row of power (if anyone had Vernon Wells in their Home Run Derby pool before the season started, please step to the front of the room), but then again no one expected Josh Hamilton to go crazy in the thing a couple of years ago.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)