Jul 6, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg told reporters Tuesday that while he was flattered by the groundswell of support he received about his potential inclusion in next week’s All-Star Game, he didn’t feel like deserved to
be there, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
“I have six starts [in the Major Leagues],” Strasburg said. “It didn’t
matter what I was going to do. I didn’t feel I was qualified to make the
team, No. 1, based on the experience that I have. I’m sure I’ll have an
opportunity down the road. It was never a goal of mine.
“You look at the guys that are going to the All-Star Game and look at
the years they have had, they have done that from Opening Day. I haven’t
been here since Opening Day. They deserve it. Hopefully, someday, I’ll
deserve it, too.”
No surprise, the young phenom is hitting all the right notes. I was all about Strasburg being in the game, just because I feel he is already one of the game’s best pitchers at this very moment, but I’m happy this pretty inconsequential issue can finally be put to bed.
Strasburg is scheduled to wrap up the first half of the season with a start against Matt Cain and the Giants on Friday.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)