Jul 6, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg told reporters Tuesday that while he was flattered by the groundswell of support he received about his potential inclusion in next week’s All-Star Game, he didn’t feel like deserved to
be there, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
“I have six starts [in the Major Leagues],” Strasburg said. “It didn’t
matter what I was going to do. I didn’t feel I was qualified to make the
team, No. 1, based on the experience that I have. I’m sure I’ll have an
opportunity down the road. It was never a goal of mine.
“You look at the guys that are going to the All-Star Game and look at
the years they have had, they have done that from Opening Day. I haven’t
been here since Opening Day. They deserve it. Hopefully, someday, I’ll
deserve it, too.”
No surprise, the young phenom is hitting all the right notes. I was all about Strasburg being in the game, just because I feel he is already one of the game’s best pitchers at this very moment, but I’m happy this pretty inconsequential issue can finally be put to bed.
Strasburg is scheduled to wrap up the first half of the season with a start against Matt Cain and the Giants on Friday.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)