Jul 6, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg told reporters Tuesday that while he was flattered by the groundswell of support he received about his potential inclusion in next week’s All-Star Game, he didn’t feel like deserved to
be there, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
“I have six starts [in the Major Leagues],” Strasburg said. “It didn’t
matter what I was going to do. I didn’t feel I was qualified to make the
team, No. 1, based on the experience that I have. I’m sure I’ll have an
opportunity down the road. It was never a goal of mine.
“You look at the guys that are going to the All-Star Game and look at
the years they have had, they have done that from Opening Day. I haven’t
been here since Opening Day. They deserve it. Hopefully, someday, I’ll
deserve it, too.”
No surprise, the young phenom is hitting all the right notes. I was all about Strasburg being in the game, just because I feel he is already one of the game’s best pitchers at this very moment, but I’m happy this pretty inconsequential issue can finally be put to bed.
Strasburg is scheduled to wrap up the first half of the season with a start against Matt Cain and the Giants on Friday.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)