Jul 6, 2010, 9:08 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg told reporters Tuesday that while he was flattered by the groundswell of support he received about his potential inclusion in next week’s All-Star Game, he didn’t feel like deserved to
be there, according to Bill Ladson of MLB.com.
“I have six starts [in the Major Leagues],” Strasburg said. “It didn’t
matter what I was going to do. I didn’t feel I was qualified to make the
team, No. 1, based on the experience that I have. I’m sure I’ll have an
opportunity down the road. It was never a goal of mine.
“You look at the guys that are going to the All-Star Game and look at
the years they have had, they have done that from Opening Day. I haven’t
been here since Opening Day. They deserve it. Hopefully, someday, I’ll
deserve it, too.”
No surprise, the young phenom is hitting all the right notes. I was all about Strasburg being in the game, just because I feel he is already one of the game’s best pitchers at this very moment, but I’m happy this pretty inconsequential issue can finally be put to bed.
Strasburg is scheduled to wrap up the first half of the season with a start against Matt Cain and the Giants on Friday.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)