Jul 6, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
As we have reported ad nausuem, the new Arizona immigration law has created a ruckus in baseball
circles. Most of that ruckus has surrounded the 2011 All-Star Game, scheduled for Chase Field. Multiple players have gone on record against the law with some — including the Padres’ Adrian Gonzalez — saying that they’d boycott the game if the law was in effect.
Today comes a new development along those lines: the U.S. Justice Department has filed a lawsuit challenging the law an unlawful usurpation of federal power. This will do absolutely nothing to calm the general controversy over the law. Quite the opposite, actually, as lawsuits tend to focus the ire of partisans on both sides of a given issue.
But is should solve baseball’s little P.R. problem. That’s because the feds are asking for an injunction suspending implementation of the law until the lawsuit is decided. Such injunctions are almost always granted, especially with respect to laws — like this one — that aren’t even in force yet.
The lawsuit is likely to last a long damn time. Certainly longer than a year, which will give baseball plenty of time to get the 2011 All-Star Game in while giving all sides the chance to say “it’s in the courts, play ball.” The game will happen and baseball will set its sights on Kansas City in 2012.
Now let’s talk about what truly matters: who manages the 2011 NL All-Stars given that 2010 World Series champ manager Bobby Cox will be retired?
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)