Jul 6, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
We’ve seen people get excited about Yankees scouts watching Cliff Lee pitch (never mind that he was pitching against the Yankees in one of those games! It’s significant, I tells ya!), but really there hasn’t been any strong reason to believe that New York is all that interested. And now we hear more on the total “meh” that is the Yankees’ non-pursuit of Cliff Lee.
I’m paraphrasing, but Buster Olney basically says that the Yankees think they could get Cliff Lee if they wanted to, but like, they’re not totally into him. Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal reports that some insider tells him that the Yankees are “kicking the tires” on Lee, like he’s a used Oldsmobile or something. Rosenthal’s source says that the Yankees have less than a 50% chance of getting Lee.
Know what I think? I think that the Yankees just want to be troublemakers here. They want to see if they can’t make the Twins and Mets — rivals in one vague form or another — overpay and, hey, if they give the New York writers something to do besides figure out what LeBron James’ latest breakfast Really Means, all the more fun.
The Yankees don’t need Lee now. They can easily outbid anyone for him in December. This is all fun and games for them.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 31
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)