The Yankees: less than break even to get Cliff Lee

Jul 6, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT

The Yankees are totally messin' with the Twins and Mets.

We’ve seen people get excited about Yankees scouts watching Cliff Lee pitch (never mind that he was pitching against the Yankees in one of those games! It’s significant, I tells ya!), but really there hasn’t been any strong reason to believe that New York is all that interested.  And now we hear more on the total “meh” that is the Yankees’ non-pursuit of Cliff Lee.

I’m paraphrasing, but Buster Olney basically says that the Yankees think they could get Cliff Lee if they wanted to, but like, they’re not totally into him.  Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal reports that some insider tells him that the Yankees are “kicking the tires” on Lee, like he’s a used Oldsmobile or something. Rosenthal’s source says that the Yankees have less than a 50% chance of getting Lee.

Know what I think? I think that the Yankees just want to be troublemakers here.  They want to see if they can’t make the Twins and Mets — rivals in one vague form or another — overpay and, hey, if they give the New York writers something to do besides figure out what LeBron James’ latest breakfast Really Means, all the more fun.

The Yankees don’t need Lee now.  They can easily outbid anyone for him in December.  This is all fun and games for them.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM

What did I tell ya? We like messin’ with people’s heads. Trouble is, Omar is like my dog Harley- “I’ve got the ball”(feigns throw) Where’s the ball?

2. Mr. Heyward - Jul 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM

If only I were yankees rich (you know, the kind of rich where you basically print money, as Craig so eloquently put it last week?), then I’d be screwing with people left and right by threatening to buy people/places/things and then saying “ahahahha, got you! I’m just kidding!” If only I could print that cash…

3. Md23Rewls - Jul 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Good work, Yanks. I approve of your mind games.

4. DualLeads - Jul 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM

More factless speculation by pundits for the sake of creating an article…. no outsiders know what is going on, period.
    Whatever happens, happens, when it happens. Now THAT’S reliable!

5. eminmn - Jul 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

It’s ridiculous how often the other 29 teams in MLB are referred to as pawns that the Yankees “mess with.” The Twins’ and Mets’ are big boys, and know what they are getting themselves into. While it does appear that Lee will eventually (and wants to) be in a Yankee uniform, it’s insulting to assume that all MLB players feel the same way. Not all of them want to be in Yankee pinstripes, which in turn means that the Yanks can’t buy everyone.

6. john pileggi - Jul 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Brian Cashman is one of the best there is. He will stay in communication, monitor what others are doing, and do what is best for the Yankees. If that means getting Lee, he will. If it means bidding up the price, he will do that as well.

7. MikeM - Jul 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM

As a Mariner’s fan, for once I heartily approve of the Yankees causing trouble with their big fat wallet. The M’s need all the help they can get to maximize the return on Lee. Half our starting lineup doesn’t even belong in the majors, so we need players NOW.

All the trade deadline news to know