Jul 7, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Baseball America reports that the Blue Jays have signed 16-year-old right-hander Adonis Cardona for $2.8 million, a record bonus for an amateur out of Venezuela.
BA had Cardona rated as the No. 3 prospect available out of Latin America this summer. The 6-foot-4 Cardona tops out at 93 mph now and should add velocity as he fills out. According to BA, he also throws a changeup and a curveball.
It’s the second big international signing this year for a Blue Jays team that had been quiet in that market over the last several years. In March, the team signed 19-year-old Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechevarria to a deal worth a reported $10 million.
The Jays were also very active in pursuing Aroldis Chapman back in January, with one report indicating they offered the left-hander $23 million.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40