Jul 7, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Baseball America reports that the Blue Jays have signed 16-year-old right-hander Adonis Cardona for $2.8 million, a record bonus for an amateur out of Venezuela.
BA had Cardona rated as the No. 3 prospect available out of Latin America this summer. The 6-foot-4 Cardona tops out at 93 mph now and should add velocity as he fills out. According to BA, he also throws a changeup and a curveball.
It’s the second big international signing this year for a Blue Jays team that had been quiet in that market over the last several years. In March, the team signed 19-year-old Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechevarria to a deal worth a reported $10 million.
The Jays were also very active in pursuing Aroldis Chapman back in January, with one report indicating they offered the left-hander $23 million.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)