Jul 7, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Brad Penny had been hoping to begin a rehab assignment this weekend with an eye toward returning from the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break, but those plans have been put on hold following a setback yesterday.
Matthew Leach of MLB.com has the details:
He threw a normal pregame warmup, took some long-toss, and simulated an inning in the bullpen at Coors Field with a hitter standing at the plate but not swinging. When Penny came in from the bullpen to the main mound on the field and got ready to face hitters, he felt something and stopped throwing.
According to Leach the new issue appears to be “less his back, where he initially injured himself, and more in his right triceps.” Penny flew back to St. Louis to be examined today by team doctors.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)