Jul 7, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Brad Penny had been hoping to begin a rehab assignment this weekend with an eye toward returning from the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break, but those plans have been put on hold following a setback yesterday.
Matthew Leach of MLB.com has the details:
He threw a normal pregame warmup, took some long-toss, and simulated an inning in the bullpen at Coors Field with a hitter standing at the plate but not swinging. When Penny came in from the bullpen to the main mound on the field and got ready to face hitters, he felt something and stopped throwing.
According to Leach the new issue appears to be “less his back, where he initially injured himself, and more in his right triceps.” Penny flew back to St. Louis to be examined today by team doctors.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)