Jul 7, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Brad Penny had been hoping to begin a rehab assignment this weekend with an eye toward returning from the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break, but those plans have been put on hold following a setback yesterday.
Matthew Leach of MLB.com has the details:
He threw a normal pregame warmup, took some long-toss, and simulated an inning in the bullpen at Coors Field with a hitter standing at the plate but not swinging. When Penny came in from the bullpen to the main mound on the field and got ready to face hitters, he felt something and stopped throwing.
According to Leach the new issue appears to be “less his back, where he initially injured himself, and more in his right triceps.” Penny flew back to St. Louis to be examined today by team doctors.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)