Jul 7, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
Heath Bell had little chance of winning the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest for spot in the All-Star game, but now he’s been taken off the ballot and officially added to the NL roster as the injury replacement for Yovani Gallardo.
Bell made his first All-Star game last season while doing a marvelous job stepping in for Trevor Hoffman as the Padres’ closer and is certainly deserving of a return trip, as he leads the league in saves for the second straight season and has a 1.72 ERA in 36.2 innings.
His removal from the “Final Vote” ballot leaves Joey Votto, Billy Wagner, Ryan Zimmerman, and Carlos Gonzalez competing for the spot.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)