Jul 7, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Heath Bell had little chance of winning the MLB.com “Final Vote” contest for spot in the All-Star game, but now he’s been taken off the ballot and officially added to the NL roster as the injury replacement for Yovani Gallardo.
Bell made his first All-Star game last season while doing a marvelous job stepping in for Trevor Hoffman as the Padres’ closer and is certainly deserving of a return trip, as he leads the league in saves for the second straight season and has a 1.72 ERA in 36.2 innings.
His removal from the “Final Vote” ballot leaves Joey Votto, Billy Wagner, Ryan Zimmerman, and Carlos Gonzalez competing for the spot.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 12
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 16
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8