Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
After leaving last night’s start in the second inning with a shoulder/back injury Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with a “detached latissimus dorsi muscle.”
There’s no word yet from the White Sox on his expected recovery timetable, but Peavy has been placed on the disabled list and Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune writes that “it’s highly likely Peavy will be out much longer than the minimum 15 days because of the severity of the injury.”
It’s easy to speculate that he’s done for the season, if only because a “detached” anything is never good or quick-healing.
Peavy pitched well in three starts for the White Sox last season after they acquired him from the Padres for Clayton Richard and two other prospects, but has been a huge disappointment this year with a 7-6 record and 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. Not only is he making $15 million this season, Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011, $17 million in 2012, and $22 million or a $4 million buyout in 2013.
Daniel Hudson is expected to replace Peavy in the rotation Sunday against Zack Greinke and the Royals, which could be his big break after putting up excellent numbers in the minors. Hudson is 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 132/40 K/BB ratio in 117 innings at Triple-A and was even better than that in the low minors.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)