Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
After leaving last night’s start in the second inning with a shoulder/back injury Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with a “detached latissimus dorsi muscle.”
There’s no word yet from the White Sox on his expected recovery timetable, but Peavy has been placed on the disabled list and Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune writes that “it’s highly likely Peavy will be out much longer than the minimum 15 days because of the severity of the injury.”
It’s easy to speculate that he’s done for the season, if only because a “detached” anything is never good or quick-healing.
Peavy pitched well in three starts for the White Sox last season after they acquired him from the Padres for Clayton Richard and two other prospects, but has been a huge disappointment this year with a 7-6 record and 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. Not only is he making $15 million this season, Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011, $17 million in 2012, and $22 million or a $4 million buyout in 2013.
Daniel Hudson is expected to replace Peavy in the rotation Sunday against Zack Greinke and the Royals, which could be his big break after putting up excellent numbers in the minors. Hudson is 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 132/40 K/BB ratio in 117 innings at Triple-A and was even better than that in the low minors.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)