Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
After leaving last night’s start in the second inning with a shoulder/back injury Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with a “detached latissimus dorsi muscle.”
There’s no word yet from the White Sox on his expected recovery timetable, but Peavy has been placed on the disabled list and Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune writes that “it’s highly likely Peavy will be out much longer than the minimum 15 days because of the severity of the injury.”
It’s easy to speculate that he’s done for the season, if only because a “detached” anything is never good or quick-healing.
Peavy pitched well in three starts for the White Sox last season after they acquired him from the Padres for Clayton Richard and two other prospects, but has been a huge disappointment this year with a 7-6 record and 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. Not only is he making $15 million this season, Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011, $17 million in 2012, and $22 million or a $4 million buyout in 2013.
Daniel Hudson is expected to replace Peavy in the rotation Sunday against Zack Greinke and the Royals, which could be his big break after putting up excellent numbers in the minors. Hudson is 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 132/40 K/BB ratio in 117 innings at Triple-A and was even better than that in the low minors.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)