Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
After leaving last night’s start in the second inning with a shoulder/back injury Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with a “detached latissimus dorsi muscle.”
There’s no word yet from the White Sox on his expected recovery timetable, but Peavy has been placed on the disabled list and Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune writes that “it’s highly likely Peavy will be out much longer than the minimum 15 days because of the severity of the injury.”
It’s easy to speculate that he’s done for the season, if only because a “detached” anything is never good or quick-healing.
Peavy pitched well in three starts for the White Sox last season after they acquired him from the Padres for Clayton Richard and two other prospects, but has been a huge disappointment this year with a 7-6 record and 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. Not only is he making $15 million this season, Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011, $17 million in 2012, and $22 million or a $4 million buyout in 2013.
Daniel Hudson is expected to replace Peavy in the rotation Sunday against Zack Greinke and the Royals, which could be his big break after putting up excellent numbers in the minors. Hudson is 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 132/40 K/BB ratio in 117 innings at Triple-A and was even better than that in the low minors.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)