Jul 7, 2010, 4:44 PM EST
After leaving last night’s start in the second inning with a shoulder/back injury Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with a “detached latissimus dorsi muscle.”
There’s no word yet from the White Sox on his expected recovery timetable, but Peavy has been placed on the disabled list and Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune writes that “it’s highly likely Peavy will be out much longer than the minimum 15 days because of the severity of the injury.”
It’s easy to speculate that he’s done for the season, if only because a “detached” anything is never good or quick-healing.
Peavy pitched well in three starts for the White Sox last season after they acquired him from the Padres for Clayton Richard and two other prospects, but has been a huge disappointment this year with a 7-6 record and 4.63 ERA in 17 starts. Not only is he making $15 million this season, Peavy is owed $16 million in 2011, $17 million in 2012, and $22 million or a $4 million buyout in 2013.
Daniel Hudson is expected to replace Peavy in the rotation Sunday against Zack Greinke and the Royals, which could be his big break after putting up excellent numbers in the minors. Hudson is 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA and 132/40 K/BB ratio in 117 innings at Triple-A and was even better than that in the low minors.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 9
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 18
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)