Jul 7, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Jake Peavy walked off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a pitch in the second inning last night, heading to the dugout before the trainer even got to him.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right latissimus dorsi muscle, which is located under the shoulder and described by my medical sources (read: Wikipedia) as “the broadest muscle of the back.”
Peavy is scheduled to be examined further today, but certainly doesn’t sound like someone who expects to avoid the disabled list.
I don’t feel very good at all right now. That’s all I can tell you. I knew there was no way I was throwing another pitch. Something we felt a little bit the last start, treated it, but tonight just something where we weren’t able to pitch.
Or as Ozzie Guillen put it: “I’m pretty sure right now he’s going to be on the DL.”
For a much more amusing look at Peavy’s injury, check out this artist’s rendering by Chicago Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)