Jul 7, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
Jake Peavy walked off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a pitch in the second inning last night, heading to the dugout before the trainer even got to him.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right latissimus dorsi muscle, which is located under the shoulder and described by my medical sources (read: Wikipedia) as “the broadest muscle of the back.”
Peavy is scheduled to be examined further today, but certainly doesn’t sound like someone who expects to avoid the disabled list.
I don’t feel very good at all right now. That’s all I can tell you. I knew there was no way I was throwing another pitch. Something we felt a little bit the last start, treated it, but tonight just something where we weren’t able to pitch.
Or as Ozzie Guillen put it: “I’m pretty sure right now he’s going to be on the DL.”
For a much more amusing look at Peavy’s injury, check out this artist’s rendering by Chicago Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)