Jul 7, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Jake Peavy walked off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a pitch in the second inning last night, heading to the dugout before the trainer even got to him.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right latissimus dorsi muscle, which is located under the shoulder and described by my medical sources (read: Wikipedia) as “the broadest muscle of the back.”
Peavy is scheduled to be examined further today, but certainly doesn’t sound like someone who expects to avoid the disabled list.
I don’t feel very good at all right now. That’s all I can tell you. I knew there was no way I was throwing another pitch. Something we felt a little bit the last start, treated it, but tonight just something where we weren’t able to pitch.
Or as Ozzie Guillen put it: “I’m pretty sure right now he’s going to be on the DL.”
For a much more amusing look at Peavy’s injury, check out this artist’s rendering by Chicago Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (120)