Jul 7, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Jake Peavy walked off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a pitch in the second inning last night, heading to the dugout before the trainer even got to him.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right latissimus dorsi muscle, which is located under the shoulder and described by my medical sources (read: Wikipedia) as “the broadest muscle of the back.”
Peavy is scheduled to be examined further today, but certainly doesn’t sound like someone who expects to avoid the disabled list.
I don’t feel very good at all right now. That’s all I can tell you. I knew there was no way I was throwing another pitch. Something we felt a little bit the last start, treated it, but tonight just something where we weren’t able to pitch.
Or as Ozzie Guillen put it: “I’m pretty sure right now he’s going to be on the DL.”
For a much more amusing look at Peavy’s injury, check out this artist’s rendering by Chicago Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 79
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful