Jul 7, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Jake Peavy walked off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a pitch in the second inning last night, heading to the dugout before the trainer even got to him.
He’s been diagnosed with a strained right latissimus dorsi muscle, which is located under the shoulder and described by my medical sources (read: Wikipedia) as “the broadest muscle of the back.”
Peavy is scheduled to be examined further today, but certainly doesn’t sound like someone who expects to avoid the disabled list.
I don’t feel very good at all right now. That’s all I can tell you. I knew there was no way I was throwing another pitch. Something we felt a little bit the last start, treated it, but tonight just something where we weren’t able to pitch.
Or as Ozzie Guillen put it: “I’m pretty sure right now he’s going to be on the DL.”
For a much more amusing look at Peavy’s injury, check out this artist’s rendering by Chicago Sun-Times beat writer Joe Cowley.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)