Jul 7, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
It hasn’t been a tragedy or anything, but one of the more, well, troubling things these past couple of years has been seeing Johan Santana transform from “otherworldly” to merely good. It’s premature to say he won’t win another Cy Young at some point or something, but he simply hasn’t been the same pitcher he used to be since coming to New York. In light of this, last night was a satisfying blast from the past, as Santana dominated the Reds.
Santana threw a three-hit shutout in the 3-0 win, striking out five. He wasn’t invincible — he walked three guys — but the Reds really never had a chance against him. He also hit a homer. Pfun Pfact, courtesy of Twitter friend @tweetthemets: Santana is the first pitcher to hit a homer and pitch a shoutout in
same game was Mike Hampton did it for the Braves back in 2005. Calm down. I just said it was pfun, not that it was predictive of future success.
Anyway, it was a nice night for Santana and a nice night for the rest of us for getting to see him return to form.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)