Jul 7, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
Johnny Damon got his 2,500th hit last night. After the game he talked a lot about it. The takeaway: There’s no “i” in “team,” but there is in “Johnny Damon:”
Prior to the game, Damon was asked what that hit would
mean to him.
“It is another stepping stone to getting to the ultimate place,” he
Asked if he was referring to the Baseball Hall of Fame in
Cooperstown, Damon nodded, adding he hopes to reach 3,000 hits.
“You get that total or 500 homers and it would be something that
normally gets you in,” Damon said.
…He is a career .288 batter and has reached .300 five times with a
career-best of .327 with Kansas City in 2000, when he also had a
career-high 214 hits.
“I wished I’d thought of this earlier in my career,” Damon said of
the hit total. “I was never as greedy as maybe I should’ve been.”
Damon went on to talk about all those days off he took after the Yankees and Red Sox clinched and how they likely deprived him of hits.
It’s impossible tell from the text of the article if Damon was actually regretting those days off and those hits-not-achieved or if it was merely a casual observation, but either way it is unusual for the starting left fielder of a team in a playoff race talking about that kind of stuff.
This doesn’t bother me, really — I hate the canned “only winning matters” rebop, because I think it’s silly to assume that guys don’t think about their stats and milestones — but you certainly don’t see it every day.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)