Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Not the players and the umps, but the behind the scenes folks like vendors and security guards and stuff. Daniel Paulling of the Kansas City Star has interesting profiles of a bunch of them who work at Kauffman Stadium. This bit — about a security guard who works down by the players’ wives section — caught my eye:
Burnett has developed a system where he can spot people who have
moved down to better seats.
While he doesn’t want to share too
many secrets, he said the way a person acts and other little things are
It’s not terribly hard to spot people trying to trade up. The key is what you do about it. Some guys — like this guy — kick ‘em back to where their real seats are. Other guys just turn a blind eye, realizing that as long as the real ticket holder isn’t there it probably doesn’t matter.
But some guys — like the ushers at a ballpark I’ve been to a few times but which I won’t identify because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble — will steer you directly to a primo, unoccupied seat as early as the first inning for as little as a finsky. They’ll even wipe it down for you as if you bought the seat yourself.
But, hey, if the guy in Kansas City wants to leave a few Lincolns on the table, that’s no skin off my nose . . .
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 18
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 205
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 105
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (205)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)