Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Not the players and the umps, but the behind the scenes folks like vendors and security guards and stuff. Daniel Paulling of the Kansas City Star has interesting profiles of a bunch of them who work at Kauffman Stadium. This bit — about a security guard who works down by the players’ wives section — caught my eye:
Burnett has developed a system where he can spot people who have
moved down to better seats.
While he doesn’t want to share too
many secrets, he said the way a person acts and other little things are
It’s not terribly hard to spot people trying to trade up. The key is what you do about it. Some guys — like this guy — kick ‘em back to where their real seats are. Other guys just turn a blind eye, realizing that as long as the real ticket holder isn’t there it probably doesn’t matter.
But some guys — like the ushers at a ballpark I’ve been to a few times but which I won’t identify because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble — will steer you directly to a primo, unoccupied seat as early as the first inning for as little as a finsky. They’ll even wipe it down for you as if you bought the seat yourself.
But, hey, if the guy in Kansas City wants to leave a few Lincolns on the table, that’s no skin off my nose . . .
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)