Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
Not the players and the umps, but the behind the scenes folks like vendors and security guards and stuff. Daniel Paulling of the Kansas City Star has interesting profiles of a bunch of them who work at Kauffman Stadium. This bit — about a security guard who works down by the players’ wives section — caught my eye:
Burnett has developed a system where he can spot people who have
moved down to better seats.
While he doesn’t want to share too
many secrets, he said the way a person acts and other little things are
It’s not terribly hard to spot people trying to trade up. The key is what you do about it. Some guys — like this guy — kick ’em back to where their real seats are. Other guys just turn a blind eye, realizing that as long as the real ticket holder isn’t there it probably doesn’t matter.
But some guys — like the ushers at a ballpark I’ve been to a few times but which I won’t identify because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble — will steer you directly to a primo, unoccupied seat as early as the first inning for as little as a finsky. They’ll even wipe it down for you as if you bought the seat yourself.
But, hey, if the guy in Kansas City wants to leave a few Lincolns on the table, that’s no skin off my nose . . .
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)