Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
Not the players and the umps, but the behind the scenes folks like vendors and security guards and stuff. Daniel Paulling of the Kansas City Star has interesting profiles of a bunch of them who work at Kauffman Stadium. This bit — about a security guard who works down by the players’ wives section — caught my eye:
Burnett has developed a system where he can spot people who have
moved down to better seats.
While he doesn’t want to share too
many secrets, he said the way a person acts and other little things are
It’s not terribly hard to spot people trying to trade up. The key is what you do about it. Some guys — like this guy — kick ‘em back to where their real seats are. Other guys just turn a blind eye, realizing that as long as the real ticket holder isn’t there it probably doesn’t matter.
But some guys — like the ushers at a ballpark I’ve been to a few times but which I won’t identify because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble — will steer you directly to a primo, unoccupied seat as early as the first inning for as little as a finsky. They’ll even wipe it down for you as if you bought the seat yourself.
But, hey, if the guy in Kansas City wants to leave a few Lincolns on the table, that’s no skin off my nose . . .
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)