Jul 7, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
“I’d give him the Barry Bonds treatment right now. I wouldn’t even
pitch to him. Right now, he’s more dangerous than Pujols . . . if he and Pujols were in the same lineup, I’d pitch around
Votto to get to Pujols. I wouldn’t do that the rest of the season, but
right now, that’s how good Votto is going.”
– An anonymous “talent evaluator” talking to Buster Olney about the State of the Votto.
Votto is profoundly underrated and yes, he’s a very dangerous hitter. But I don’t know that anyone other than Barry Bonds at his peak who was actually worthy of “the Barry Bonds treatment,” and there are reasonable people who believe that Bonds shouldn’t have been walked all the damn time himself.
And hey, if Votto was so dangerous why did Ryan Howard beat him out for the All-Star squad, huh Mr. Smart Guy?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)