Jul 7, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
“I’d give him the Barry Bonds treatment right now. I wouldn’t even
pitch to him. Right now, he’s more dangerous than Pujols . . . if he and Pujols were in the same lineup, I’d pitch around
Votto to get to Pujols. I wouldn’t do that the rest of the season, but
right now, that’s how good Votto is going.”
– An anonymous “talent evaluator” talking to Buster Olney about the State of the Votto.
Votto is profoundly underrated and yes, he’s a very dangerous hitter. But I don’t know that anyone other than Barry Bonds at his peak who was actually worthy of “the Barry Bonds treatment,” and there are reasonable people who believe that Bonds shouldn’t have been walked all the damn time himself.
And hey, if Votto was so dangerous why did Ryan Howard beat him out for the All-Star squad, huh Mr. Smart Guy?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)