Jul 7, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT
“I’d give him the Barry Bonds treatment right now. I wouldn’t even
pitch to him. Right now, he’s more dangerous than Pujols . . . if he and Pujols were in the same lineup, I’d pitch around
Votto to get to Pujols. I wouldn’t do that the rest of the season, but
right now, that’s how good Votto is going.”
– An anonymous “talent evaluator” talking to Buster Olney about the State of the Votto.
Votto is profoundly underrated and yes, he’s a very dangerous hitter. But I don’t know that anyone other than Barry Bonds at his peak who was actually worthy of “the Barry Bonds treatment,” and there are reasonable people who believe that Bonds shouldn’t have been walked all the damn time himself.
And hey, if Votto was so dangerous why did Ryan Howard beat him out for the All-Star squad, huh Mr. Smart Guy?
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)