Quote of the Day: Joey Votto is more dangerous than Albert Pujols

Jul 7, 2010, 12:10 PM EDT

And I do hope the guy who mentioned "the Barry Bonds treatment" was referring to intentional walks.

“I’d give him the Barry Bonds treatment right now. I wouldn’t even
pitch to him. Right now, he’s more dangerous than Pujols . . . if he and Pujols were in the same lineup, I’d pitch around
Votto to get to Pujols. I wouldn’t do that the rest of the season, but
right now, that’s how good Votto is going.”

An anonymous “talent evaluator” talking to Buster Olney about the State of the Votto.

Votto is profoundly underrated and yes, he’s a very dangerous hitter. But I don’t know that anyone other than Barry Bonds at his peak who was actually worthy of “the Barry Bonds treatment,” and there are reasonable people who believe that Bonds shouldn’t have been walked all the damn time himself.

1. Mr. Heyward - Jul 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Does the Barry Bonds treatment involve the cream, the clear or both? If I were Votto or Pujols, I’d avoid asking for that treatment and just continue crushing baseballs. I’d also retire right now b/c I’d be stinking rich.

2. InnocentBystander - Jul 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Saw this last night on Baseball Tonight when he said it. Poor Karl Ravech had the same look on his face that he would get any time Steve Phillips would speak.

3. SadPandaRevolt - Jul 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

“And hey, if Votto was so dangerous why did Ryan Howard beat him out for the All-Star squad, huh Mr. Smart Guy?”
    Because his Manager is the NL team’s manager?
    and to be fair, the guy did qualify all this with the term “right now”.

4. TMW - Jul 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Joey Votto is the best hitter in the NL right now. That much is obvious and I don’t understand why this blog post exists.

5. coachhart - Jul 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM

‘And hey, if Votto was so dangerous why did Ryan Howard beat him out for the All-Star squad, huh Mr. Smart Guy?’
    Because the all star game is a gall darn popularity contest, how was Rollins one of the better vote getters when he only played 12 games at one point? Stupid. Change the All Start voting.

6. i-Supplements.com - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Craig Calcaterra, your ending argument/statement obviously shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Just as SadPandaRevolt stated, the only reason Howard made the AllStar team was because of his manager put him on the team. Not because he was deserving. When I hear about mid season MVP’s, almost every analyst has stated Votto would be the NL MVP if the season ended today. If I remember correctly, what place are the Cardinals in? Oh yeah, in 2nd, 3 games back of the Reds. So when you look at that and what Votto has done this season and that the Reds are in 1st place, I think that makes him very dangerous. Even more than Pujols at this point in the season.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Please see a doctor. You appear to be suffering from an acute sarcasm detection deficit disorder.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2515)