Jul 7, 2010, 3:10 PM EST
Yesterday afternoon: Robbie Cano agreed to participate in the Home Run Derby at next week’s All-Star Game.
Yesterday evening: several thousand Yankees fans and no small number of Yankees writers freak out, wondering why a guy who sprays the ball all over the yard would want to participate in a home run hitting contest and wondering if said participation would give him delusions of grandeur, screw up his swing, make him a Communist and things like that.
Twenty minutes ago: Mark Feinsand of the Daily News tweets that Cano has pulled out of the Derby due to a “minor back injury.”
Anyone willing to bet their mortgage that this back injury wasn’t inflicted by Yankees’ front office types who really, really didn’t want to see Cano in the Home Run Derby? We’ll know when Cano (a) plays effectively in games both before and after the All-Star break; and (b) is vague to the point of ridiculousness when asked about that back injury.
In fact: I’ll buy a six pack for the first beat writer who gets Cano to respond “back injury, what back inj– oh, yeah, it’s coming along fine” to a question.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)