Jul 7, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
Yesterday afternoon: Robbie Cano agreed to participate in the Home Run Derby at next week’s All-Star Game.
Yesterday evening: several thousand Yankees fans and no small number of Yankees writers freak out, wondering why a guy who sprays the ball all over the yard would want to participate in a home run hitting contest and wondering if said participation would give him delusions of grandeur, screw up his swing, make him a Communist and things like that.
Twenty minutes ago: Mark Feinsand of the Daily News tweets that Cano has pulled out of the Derby due to a “minor back injury.”
Anyone willing to bet their mortgage that this back injury wasn’t inflicted by Yankees’ front office types who really, really didn’t want to see Cano in the Home Run Derby? We’ll know when Cano (a) plays effectively in games both before and after the All-Star break; and (b) is vague to the point of ridiculousness when asked about that back injury.
In fact: I’ll buy a six pack for the first beat writer who gets Cano to respond “back injury, what back inj– oh, yeah, it’s coming along fine” to a question.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)