Jul 7, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
That’s Ken Rosenthal’s assessment, and it’s not a bad one. His thinking: (a) interim GM Jerry Dipoto can’t be expected to have been handed the reins to do a full-blown fire sale mere weeks after taking over for Josh Byrnes; and (b) the Diamondbacks really don’t have a need to slash payroll given that Brandon Webb and Eric Byrnes are coming off the payroll this fall.’
Rosenthal thinks that the Diamondbacks may deal guys on the brink of free agency like Adam LaRoche, Chad Qualls and Aaron Heilman, but that trading guys who are under contract for 2011 and beyond (i.e. Dan Haren and Kelly Johnson) makes little sense for Arizona. I’m guessing the Diamondbacks have made the same assessment, which would explain that “we have to be blown away to trade Haren” talk we’ve heard in the past week or so.
This may discourage Philly fans who covet Haren and wouldn’t mind seeing Kelly Johnson fill in for the injured Chase Utley, but Dback fans probably welcome the news.
Well, to the extent it is news and not just some sensible speculation.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)