Jul 7, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
That’s Ken Rosenthal’s assessment, and it’s not a bad one. His thinking: (a) interim GM Jerry Dipoto can’t be expected to have been handed the reins to do a full-blown fire sale mere weeks after taking over for Josh Byrnes; and (b) the Diamondbacks really don’t have a need to slash payroll given that Brandon Webb and Eric Byrnes are coming off the payroll this fall.’
Rosenthal thinks that the Diamondbacks may deal guys on the brink of free agency like Adam LaRoche, Chad Qualls and Aaron Heilman, but that trading guys who are under contract for 2011 and beyond (i.e. Dan Haren and Kelly Johnson) makes little sense for Arizona. I’m guessing the Diamondbacks have made the same assessment, which would explain that “we have to be blown away to trade Haren” talk we’ve heard in the past week or so.
This may discourage Philly fans who covet Haren and wouldn’t mind seeing Kelly Johnson fill in for the injured Chase Utley, but Dback fans probably welcome the news.
Well, to the extent it is news and not just some sensible speculation.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 3
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 41
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)