Jul 7, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
Dear lord, we are way, way short on our daily Cliff Lee post quota! How will baseball ever compete with the NBA hype at this rate? Let’s fix that with one last Cliff Lee tidbit of the day.
Rosenthal and Morosi are saying that the Mariners are seeking “a mammoth return” for Cliff Lee. This in the wake of the Wilson Ramos/Aaron Hicks offer they reportedly got from the Twins. An offer, by the way, that Rosenthal and Morosi (or, as I like to call them “Roseosi”) note was not confirmed. They suggest that it may have been Ramos and Kevin Slowey in the deal, not Hicks. I don’t know. I just work here. It’s possible, of course, that such rumblings are merely designed to challenge other teams to up their offers.
Seems to me that the Mariners are in the catbird seat on this one, though. It’s not like they have to worry about the pennant race, and every day we get closer to July 31st increases the panic factor in everyone who wants to land the lefty.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)