Jul 7, 2010, 6:10 PM EST
Dear lord, we are way, way short on our daily Cliff Lee post quota! How will baseball ever compete with the NBA hype at this rate? Let’s fix that with one last Cliff Lee tidbit of the day.
Rosenthal and Morosi are saying that the Mariners are seeking “a mammoth return” for Cliff Lee. This in the wake of the Wilson Ramos/Aaron Hicks offer they reportedly got from the Twins. An offer, by the way, that Rosenthal and Morosi (or, as I like to call them “Roseosi”) note was not confirmed. They suggest that it may have been Ramos and Kevin Slowey in the deal, not Hicks. I don’t know. I just work here. It’s possible, of course, that such rumblings are merely designed to challenge other teams to up their offers.
Seems to me that the Mariners are in the catbird seat on this one, though. It’s not like they have to worry about the pennant race, and every day we get closer to July 31st increases the panic factor in everyone who wants to land the lefty.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)