Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM EST
That’s what Buster Olney says. I hope they get off him in the next four hours, because he has to play the Padres tonight!
Trading Adam Dunn to the White Sox would be a lot of fun, partially because of the competitive implications — he would definitely give the Sox a big push in the Central — but also because it would potentially provide a Great Moment in Self-Awareness.
During the offseason, Ozzie Guillen made a big stink about not wanting a full-time DH. He preferred to cycle everyday players through the DH slot to give them rest, saying that a full-time DH would cut down on his flexibility and stuff. It was for this reason that the Sox never really considered bringing Jim Thome back. At the same time, Adam Dunn — despite being one of the worst defensive players in all of baseball — is adamant about wanting to continue to play in the field.
If Dunn goes to Chicago and flourishes as a DH, both he and Guillen will have learned something. Guillen will have learned that teams which play in the most homer-friendly park in the American League are probably better off with a big donkey of a DH. Likewise, Dunn will have learned that people tend to do better by sticking with what they do best. In his case, mash.
And if a trade happens and the experiment fails? Ah, this is just a blog post. You’ll forget it in a day or so.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)