Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says. I hope they get off him in the next four hours, because he has to play the Padres tonight!
Trading Adam Dunn to the White Sox would be a lot of fun, partially because of the competitive implications — he would definitely give the Sox a big push in the Central — but also because it would potentially provide a Great Moment in Self-Awareness.
During the offseason, Ozzie Guillen made a big stink about not wanting a full-time DH. He preferred to cycle everyday players through the DH slot to give them rest, saying that a full-time DH would cut down on his flexibility and stuff. It was for this reason that the Sox never really considered bringing Jim Thome back. At the same time, Adam Dunn — despite being one of the worst defensive players in all of baseball — is adamant about wanting to continue to play in the field.
If Dunn goes to Chicago and flourishes as a DH, both he and Guillen will have learned something. Guillen will have learned that teams which play in the most homer-friendly park in the American League are probably better off with a big donkey of a DH. Likewise, Dunn will have learned that people tend to do better by sticking with what they do best. In his case, mash.
And if a trade happens and the experiment fails? Ah, this is just a blog post. You’ll forget it in a day or so.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 6
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)