Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says. I hope they get off him in the next four hours, because he has to play the Padres tonight!
Trading Adam Dunn to the White Sox would be a lot of fun, partially because of the competitive implications — he would definitely give the Sox a big push in the Central — but also because it would potentially provide a Great Moment in Self-Awareness.
During the offseason, Ozzie Guillen made a big stink about not wanting a full-time DH. He preferred to cycle everyday players through the DH slot to give them rest, saying that a full-time DH would cut down on his flexibility and stuff. It was for this reason that the Sox never really considered bringing Jim Thome back. At the same time, Adam Dunn — despite being one of the worst defensive players in all of baseball — is adamant about wanting to continue to play in the field.
If Dunn goes to Chicago and flourishes as a DH, both he and Guillen will have learned something. Guillen will have learned that teams which play in the most homer-friendly park in the American League are probably better off with a big donkey of a DH. Likewise, Dunn will have learned that people tend to do better by sticking with what they do best. In his case, mash.
And if a trade happens and the experiment fails? Ah, this is just a blog post. You’ll forget it in a day or so.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)