Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says. I hope they get off him in the next four hours, because he has to play the Padres tonight!
Trading Adam Dunn to the White Sox would be a lot of fun, partially because of the competitive implications — he would definitely give the Sox a big push in the Central — but also because it would potentially provide a Great Moment in Self-Awareness.
During the offseason, Ozzie Guillen made a big stink about not wanting a full-time DH. He preferred to cycle everyday players through the DH slot to give them rest, saying that a full-time DH would cut down on his flexibility and stuff. It was for this reason that the Sox never really considered bringing Jim Thome back. At the same time, Adam Dunn — despite being one of the worst defensive players in all of baseball — is adamant about wanting to continue to play in the field.
If Dunn goes to Chicago and flourishes as a DH, both he and Guillen will have learned something. Guillen will have learned that teams which play in the most homer-friendly park in the American League are probably better off with a big donkey of a DH. Likewise, Dunn will have learned that people tend to do better by sticking with what they do best. In his case, mash.
And if a trade happens and the experiment fails? Ah, this is just a blog post. You’ll forget it in a day or so.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)