Jul 7, 2010, 3:29 PM EST
That’s what Buster Olney says. I hope they get off him in the next four hours, because he has to play the Padres tonight!
Trading Adam Dunn to the White Sox would be a lot of fun, partially because of the competitive implications — he would definitely give the Sox a big push in the Central — but also because it would potentially provide a Great Moment in Self-Awareness.
During the offseason, Ozzie Guillen made a big stink about not wanting a full-time DH. He preferred to cycle everyday players through the DH slot to give them rest, saying that a full-time DH would cut down on his flexibility and stuff. It was for this reason that the Sox never really considered bringing Jim Thome back. At the same time, Adam Dunn — despite being one of the worst defensive players in all of baseball — is adamant about wanting to continue to play in the field.
If Dunn goes to Chicago and flourishes as a DH, both he and Guillen will have learned something. Guillen will have learned that teams which play in the most homer-friendly park in the American League are probably better off with a big donkey of a DH. Likewise, Dunn will have learned that people tend to do better by sticking with what they do best. In his case, mash.
And if a trade happens and the experiment fails? Ah, this is just a blog post. You’ll forget it in a day or so.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)