Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Well, we can’t blame Jim Joyce for this one.
Just five weeks after becoming a household name by throwing an “imperfect game” Armando Galarraga has been demoted to Triple-A by the Tigers, although general manager Dave Dombrowski made it very clear that the move is only temporary.
Because of the All-Star break Galarraga wouldn’t have been needed as a starter for two weeks, so the plan is for him to make at least one start at Triple-A and rejoin the Tigers’ rotation on July 20. Of course, if he was pitching better the Tigers could have just as easily kept him in the bullpen between starts.
Instead they sent Galarraga to Toledo and called up Triple-A reliever Robbie Weinhardt to take his spot on the pitching staff. In contrast to his incredibly calm reaction toward Joyce’s blown call, Galarraga reportedly was so upset upon learning of the move that he declined to speak to the media.
Galarraga is just 1-1 with a 5.61 ERA in six starts since forever being linked with Joyce in baseball history, giving up 32 hits and 10 walks in 27 innings during that span.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)