Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Well, we can’t blame Jim Joyce for this one.
Just five weeks after becoming a household name by throwing an “imperfect game” Armando Galarraga has been demoted to Triple-A by the Tigers, although general manager Dave Dombrowski made it very clear that the move is only temporary.
Because of the All-Star break Galarraga wouldn’t have been needed as a starter for two weeks, so the plan is for him to make at least one start at Triple-A and rejoin the Tigers’ rotation on July 20. Of course, if he was pitching better the Tigers could have just as easily kept him in the bullpen between starts.
Instead they sent Galarraga to Toledo and called up Triple-A reliever Robbie Weinhardt to take his spot on the pitching staff. In contrast to his incredibly calm reaction toward Joyce’s blown call, Galarraga reportedly was so upset upon learning of the move that he declined to speak to the media.
Galarraga is just 1-1 with a 5.61 ERA in six starts since forever being linked with Joyce in baseball history, giving up 32 hits and 10 walks in 27 innings during that span.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)