Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Well, we can’t blame Jim Joyce for this one.
Just five weeks after becoming a household name by throwing an “imperfect game” Armando Galarraga has been demoted to Triple-A by the Tigers, although general manager Dave Dombrowski made it very clear that the move is only temporary.
Because of the All-Star break Galarraga wouldn’t have been needed as a starter for two weeks, so the plan is for him to make at least one start at Triple-A and rejoin the Tigers’ rotation on July 20. Of course, if he was pitching better the Tigers could have just as easily kept him in the bullpen between starts.
Instead they sent Galarraga to Toledo and called up Triple-A reliever Robbie Weinhardt to take his spot on the pitching staff. In contrast to his incredibly calm reaction toward Joyce’s blown call, Galarraga reportedly was so upset upon learning of the move that he declined to speak to the media.
Galarraga is just 1-1 with a 5.61 ERA in six starts since forever being linked with Joyce in baseball history, giving up 32 hits and 10 walks in 27 innings during that span.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)