Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Well, we can’t blame Jim Joyce for this one.
Just five weeks after becoming a household name by throwing an “imperfect game” Armando Galarraga has been demoted to Triple-A by the Tigers, although general manager Dave Dombrowski made it very clear that the move is only temporary.
Because of the All-Star break Galarraga wouldn’t have been needed as a starter for two weeks, so the plan is for him to make at least one start at Triple-A and rejoin the Tigers’ rotation on July 20. Of course, if he was pitching better the Tigers could have just as easily kept him in the bullpen between starts.
Instead they sent Galarraga to Toledo and called up Triple-A reliever Robbie Weinhardt to take his spot on the pitching staff. In contrast to his incredibly calm reaction toward Joyce’s blown call, Galarraga reportedly was so upset upon learning of the move that he declined to speak to the media.
Galarraga is just 1-1 with a 5.61 ERA in six starts since forever being linked with Joyce in baseball history, giving up 32 hits and 10 walks in 27 innings during that span.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)