Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Well, we can’t blame Jim Joyce for this one.
Just five weeks after becoming a household name by throwing an “imperfect game” Armando Galarraga has been demoted to Triple-A by the Tigers, although general manager Dave Dombrowski made it very clear that the move is only temporary.
Because of the All-Star break Galarraga wouldn’t have been needed as a starter for two weeks, so the plan is for him to make at least one start at Triple-A and rejoin the Tigers’ rotation on July 20. Of course, if he was pitching better the Tigers could have just as easily kept him in the bullpen between starts.
Instead they sent Galarraga to Toledo and called up Triple-A reliever Robbie Weinhardt to take his spot on the pitching staff. In contrast to his incredibly calm reaction toward Joyce’s blown call, Galarraga reportedly was so upset upon learning of the move that he declined to speak to the media.
Galarraga is just 1-1 with a 5.61 ERA in six starts since forever being linked with Joyce in baseball history, giving up 32 hits and 10 walks in 27 innings during that span.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)