After 5 months and 325 tweets Ozzie Guillen is sick of Twitter

Jul 8, 2010, 10:43 AM EDT

Ozzie Guillen joined Twitter in late February and has posted an average of two updates per day since then, quickly accumulating 67,000 followers and earning “Quote of the Day” status here at Hardball Talk several times.
And now he’s sick of it.

I’m tired of Twitter. It’s boring. I don’t have time for that. My wife is in town. I have to take my dogs out every day.

Or as MLB.com’s Scott Merkin notes: “Guillen has tweeted just four times since June 28, with two centering on his bad golf game.”
Once upon a time Guillen enjoyed Twitter so much that he kept doing it despite general manager Ken Williams’ objections and his son Oney Guillen quit a job with the White Sox after using Twitter to post critical comments about the team.
As someone who has become totally obsessed with, addicted to, and dependent on Twitter (follow me!) it’s sad that Guillen tired of it, because his inane ramblings were significantly better than everyone else’s inane ramblings. Except mine, of course.

1. Ditto65 - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM

But Twitter lacks the animation and accent of the video ramblings.

2. Simon DelMonte - Jul 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Well, now that that basketball guy has a Twitter account, we don’t need Ozzie anymore.

3. JimmyY - Jul 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Sorry, its just stupid to follow anyone, let alone hundreds, of others as they talk about their dogs, bathroom breaks, whatever. Don’t care, don’t want to know, waste of time.

4. geoknows - Jul 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I tend to agree. Although there are instances where Twitter is used to disseminate useful information between interested parties, most of that can be accomplished in other ways without having to sort through the junk or “follow” people until they actually say something you want to hear.

5. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Ozzie’s tweets are among the hardest to follow. I know a diehard Sox fan and even she doesn’t bother to read his ramblings. If that doesn’t sum it up, I don’t know what does.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3937)