Jul 8, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Out since late April with a broken toe, Ryan Madson returned from this disabled list today and should provide a much-needed boost to Philadelphia’s struggling bullpen.
Phillies relievers have gone 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA in 79 innings since June 1, and while Madson pitched poorly before landing on the DL his 3.27 ERA in 365 career relief appearances will be a welcomed addition to the seventh and eighth innings even if Charlie Manuel continues to stick with Brad Lidge at closer.
Madson made five appearances across three different levels while rehabbing in the minors, striking out six and allowing two runs on four hits and two walks in 5.2 innings.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 11
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 179
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (179)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)