Jul 8, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Out since late April with a broken toe, Ryan Madson returned from this disabled list today and should provide a much-needed boost to Philadelphia’s struggling bullpen.
Phillies relievers have gone 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA in 79 innings since June 1, and while Madson pitched poorly before landing on the DL his 3.27 ERA in 365 career relief appearances will be a welcomed addition to the seventh and eighth innings even if Charlie Manuel continues to stick with Brad Lidge at closer.
Madson made five appearances across three different levels while rehabbing in the minors, striking out six and allowing two runs on four hits and two walks in 5.2 innings.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)