Jul 8, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Out since late April with a broken toe, Ryan Madson returned from this disabled list today and should provide a much-needed boost to Philadelphia’s struggling bullpen.
Phillies relievers have gone 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA in 79 innings since June 1, and while Madson pitched poorly before landing on the DL his 3.27 ERA in 365 career relief appearances will be a welcomed addition to the seventh and eighth innings even if Charlie Manuel continues to stick with Brad Lidge at closer.
Madson made five appearances across three different levels while rehabbing in the minors, striking out six and allowing two runs on four hits and two walks in 5.2 innings.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)