Jul 8, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
Out since late April with a broken toe, Ryan Madson returned from this disabled list today and should provide a much-needed boost to Philadelphia’s struggling bullpen.
Phillies relievers have gone 3-5 with a 4.56 ERA in 79 innings since June 1, and while Madson pitched poorly before landing on the DL his 3.27 ERA in 365 career relief appearances will be a welcomed addition to the seventh and eighth innings even if Charlie Manuel continues to stick with Brad Lidge at closer.
Madson made five appearances across three different levels while rehabbing in the minors, striking out six and allowing two runs on four hits and two walks in 5.2 innings.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)