David Ortiz wants to retire with the Red Sox. Don't hold your breath, Papi

Jul 8, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

And he doesn’t mean on one of them fancy Nomar Garciaparra one day contracts, neither:

“They know what my feelings are about staying around and playing here
and hanging them up with the Red Sox. It’s not like I’m planning to
retire right now, but you know what I’m saying . . . This is home to me.
I’ve been in this organization for years and I’ve been well known here. I
understand when you’ve got to go somewhere else. This is about
producing. That’s why I’ve been here all these years. That’s what I do.
We’ll see.”

That’s sweet and everything, but here’s how this thing is gonna go:  Ortiz is going to make noises about wanting his $12.5 million option picked up.  The team isn’t even going to consider it.  When the team comes back with an offer — think $5 million or a bit more — Ortiz will balk and enter the market.

I’m sure the Red Sox are pleased that the reports of Ortiz’s death were exaggerated, but that doesn’t mean that they’re willing to take that kind of chance again.  If he’s to stay in Boston it will be on a year-to-year basis for lowish money.

1. Pisano - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM

“David Ortiz wants to retire with the Red Sox” don’t make book on it . If he wants to retire with them , well this would be the year to do it .He’s not coming back , even if he hit 300 , and had 30 home runs. There’s 12 million reasons why he’s not coming back Ortiz is going to find out how Nomar , Pedro , and a few others felt . Ciao, Pisan.

2. birdmancometh - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM

They have Italians in Boston? I thought you were all Irish!

3. Jack Marshall - Jul 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I think you guys misjudge Papi. I think he’s serious, and I think he’ll take major discount to stay with the Sox, if they want him. If he finishes strong and the team offers 6-8 million, he’ll stay.

4. Larry - Jul 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Hopefully Papi was paying attention to his buddies Wakefield and Varitek…. both took discounts to stick around. If he knows the score and has spoken with Theo… he’ll be fine. If he thinks he can score a primo contract now…… there’s the door Papi!

5. Alex Poterack - Jul 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM

No, they’re all Catholic. All the white ones who aren’t Irish are Italian.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3206)