Jul 8, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
“They know what my feelings are about staying around and playing here
and hanging them up with the Red Sox. It’s not like I’m planning to
retire right now, but you know what I’m saying . . . This is home to me.
I’ve been in this organization for years and I’ve been well known here. I
understand when you’ve got to go somewhere else. This is about
producing. That’s why I’ve been here all these years. That’s what I do.
That’s sweet and everything, but here’s how this thing is gonna go: Ortiz is going to make noises about wanting his $12.5 million option picked up. The team isn’t even going to consider it. When the team comes back with an offer — think $5 million or a bit more — Ortiz will balk and enter the market.
I’m sure the Red Sox are pleased that the reports of Ortiz’s death were exaggerated, but that doesn’t mean that they’re willing to take that kind of chance again. If he’s to stay in Boston it will be on a year-to-year basis for lowish money.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)