Jul 8, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
“They know what my feelings are about staying around and playing here
and hanging them up with the Red Sox. It’s not like I’m planning to
retire right now, but you know what I’m saying . . . This is home to me.
I’ve been in this organization for years and I’ve been well known here. I
understand when you’ve got to go somewhere else. This is about
producing. That’s why I’ve been here all these years. That’s what I do.
That’s sweet and everything, but here’s how this thing is gonna go: Ortiz is going to make noises about wanting his $12.5 million option picked up. The team isn’t even going to consider it. When the team comes back with an offer — think $5 million or a bit more — Ortiz will balk and enter the market.
I’m sure the Red Sox are pleased that the reports of Ortiz’s death were exaggerated, but that doesn’t mean that they’re willing to take that kind of chance again. If he’s to stay in Boston it will be on a year-to-year basis for lowish money.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)