Jul 8, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
“They know what my feelings are about staying around and playing here
and hanging them up with the Red Sox. It’s not like I’m planning to
retire right now, but you know what I’m saying . . . This is home to me.
I’ve been in this organization for years and I’ve been well known here. I
understand when you’ve got to go somewhere else. This is about
producing. That’s why I’ve been here all these years. That’s what I do.
That’s sweet and everything, but here’s how this thing is gonna go: Ortiz is going to make noises about wanting his $12.5 million option picked up. The team isn’t even going to consider it. When the team comes back with an offer — think $5 million or a bit more — Ortiz will balk and enter the market.
I’m sure the Red Sox are pleased that the reports of Ortiz’s death were exaggerated, but that doesn’t mean that they’re willing to take that kind of chance again. If he’s to stay in Boston it will be on a year-to-year basis for lowish money.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)