Jul 8, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Last night the Royals staged a late-inning rally to complete a three-game sweep of the Mariners, giving them 10 wins in the past 13 games and a 27-23 mark in 50 games since Ned Yost replaced Trey Hillman as manager.
Kansas City is still just 39-46 overall, which is merely the 21st-best record in baseball, but that puts them only eight games back in the thoroughly mediocre American League Central and suddenly has Yost talking about actually winning the division. Seriously:
You look at today and we’re a good week and a day away from being in first place. That’s the way I look at it. If some guys lose some games, and we get on a bit of a run. We’re in it. I mean, really. Eight days. If things happen. Yeah, I really believe it. Why can’t we make a run? We’ve made a little bit of a run. If we keep winning series and keep playing the way that we’re playing, who knows what can happen?
We’re in a good spot. We just have to continue doing what we’re doing and, slowly but surely, make up ground. We have to continue to pitch the way that we’ve pitched. We’ve got to continue doing what we’ve been doing. There are a lot of things that have to go right but, heck yeah, we still think we’re in it.
Even in baseball’s weakest division it’s tough to take the Royals’ too seriously as contenders until they actually get above .500, but Yost going 27-23 after Hillman went 12-23 this season and 152-207 during his three-year tenure deserves some notice.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 90
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 44
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (94)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement