Jul 8, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Astros utility man Geoff Blum is expected to miss 2-4 weeks after undergoing elbow surgery yesterday. According to Steve Gartner of MLB.com Blum had “three loose bodies” removed him his elbow after experiencing soreness and swelling last week.
Blum began the season filling in for the injured Lance Berkman at first base and has been subbing for the injured Tommy Manzella at shortstop recently, but aside from his defensive versatility it’s not much of a loss. Blum has the sixth-lowest career OPS among all active hitters with at least 4,000 plate appearances and is hitting even worse than usual this season at .241/.311/.307.
Jason Bourgeois was called up from Triple-A to replace him on the roster, and the Astros will turn to Angel Sanchez and Oswaldo Navarro as their shortstop combo.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)