Jul 8, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Astros utility man Geoff Blum is expected to miss 2-4 weeks after undergoing elbow surgery yesterday. According to Steve Gartner of MLB.com Blum had “three loose bodies” removed him his elbow after experiencing soreness and swelling last week.
Blum began the season filling in for the injured Lance Berkman at first base and has been subbing for the injured Tommy Manzella at shortstop recently, but aside from his defensive versatility it’s not much of a loss. Blum has the sixth-lowest career OPS among all active hitters with at least 4,000 plate appearances and is hitting even worse than usual this season at .241/.311/.307.
Jason Bourgeois was called up from Triple-A to replace him on the roster, and the Astros will turn to Angel Sanchez and Oswaldo Navarro as their shortstop combo.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 7
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 91
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)