Jul 8, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Astros utility man Geoff Blum is expected to miss 2-4 weeks after undergoing elbow surgery yesterday. According to Steve Gartner of MLB.com Blum had “three loose bodies” removed him his elbow after experiencing soreness and swelling last week.
Blum began the season filling in for the injured Lance Berkman at first base and has been subbing for the injured Tommy Manzella at shortstop recently, but aside from his defensive versatility it’s not much of a loss. Blum has the sixth-lowest career OPS among all active hitters with at least 4,000 plate appearances and is hitting even worse than usual this season at .241/.311/.307.
Jason Bourgeois was called up from Triple-A to replace him on the roster, and the Astros will turn to Angel Sanchez and Oswaldo Navarro as their shortstop combo.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 18
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)