Jul 8, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Astros utility man Geoff Blum is expected to miss 2-4 weeks after undergoing elbow surgery yesterday. According to Steve Gartner of MLB.com Blum had “three loose bodies” removed him his elbow after experiencing soreness and swelling last week.
Blum began the season filling in for the injured Lance Berkman at first base and has been subbing for the injured Tommy Manzella at shortstop recently, but aside from his defensive versatility it’s not much of a loss. Blum has the sixth-lowest career OPS among all active hitters with at least 4,000 plate appearances and is hitting even worse than usual this season at .241/.311/.307.
Jason Bourgeois was called up from Triple-A to replace him on the roster, and the Astros will turn to Angel Sanchez and Oswaldo Navarro as their shortstop combo.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)