Jul 8, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Astros utility man Geoff Blum is expected to miss 2-4 weeks after undergoing elbow surgery yesterday. According to Steve Gartner of MLB.com Blum had “three loose bodies” removed him his elbow after experiencing soreness and swelling last week.
Blum began the season filling in for the injured Lance Berkman at first base and has been subbing for the injured Tommy Manzella at shortstop recently, but aside from his defensive versatility it’s not much of a loss. Blum has the sixth-lowest career OPS among all active hitters with at least 4,000 plate appearances and is hitting even worse than usual this season at .241/.311/.307.
Jason Bourgeois was called up from Triple-A to replace him on the roster, and the Astros will turn to Angel Sanchez and Oswaldo Navarro as their shortstop combo.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 0
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 12
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)