Jul 8, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
9:02 PM: Now Clark Spencer reports that Hanley may opt out of the Derby and will wait until Saturday to make his decision official. Wait, this really is like the LeBron junk.
”I want to do it, but I don’t know,” Ramirez said. “I’ve never
done that and I don’t know how I would feel after. I’m just worried
about how my bat is going to feel after. I’m just thinking about the
team. I’ve got to be there in the second half.”
Ramirez said peer pressure from his teammates made him initially accept the invitation.
8:40 PM: Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez announced Thursday that he has agreed to participate in next week’s Home Run Derby, according to the Associated Press.
Take that, LeBron … or something.
Brewers outfielder Corey Hart and Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday have also agreed to represent the National League, while Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz and Blue Jays outfielder Vernon Wells will participate for of the American League. An additional player from each league is still needed.
Hanley has tallied only 13 home runs in 311 at-bats this season, but he finished with 24 last year and a career-high 33 in 2009. He is currently batting .296/.376/.489.
The Home Run Derby will take place Monday night at Angels Stadium.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead