Jul 8, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
9:02 PM: Now Clark Spencer reports that Hanley may opt out of the Derby and will wait until Saturday to make his decision official. Wait, this really is like the LeBron junk.
“I want to do it, but I don’t know,” Ramirez said. “I’ve never
done that and I don’t know how I would feel after. I’m just worried
about how my bat is going to feel after. I’m just thinking about the
team. I’ve got to be there in the second half.”
Ramirez said peer pressure from his teammates made him initially accept the invitation.
8:40 PM: Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez announced Thursday that he has agreed to participate in next week’s Home Run Derby, according to the Associated Press.
Take that, LeBron … or something.
Brewers outfielder Corey Hart and Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday have also agreed to represent the National League, while Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz and Blue Jays outfielder Vernon Wells will participate for of the American League. An additional player from each league is still needed.
Hanley has tallied only 13 home runs in 311 at-bats this season, but he finished with 24 last year and a career-high 33 in 2009. He is currently batting .296/.376/.489.
The Home Run Derby will take place Monday night at Angels Stadium.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)