Jul 8, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
9:02 PM: Now Clark Spencer reports that Hanley may opt out of the Derby and will wait until Saturday to make his decision official. Wait, this really is like the LeBron junk.
“I want to do it, but I don’t know,” Ramirez said. “I’ve never
done that and I don’t know how I would feel after. I’m just worried
about how my bat is going to feel after. I’m just thinking about the
team. I’ve got to be there in the second half.”
Ramirez said peer pressure from his teammates made him initially accept the invitation.
8:40 PM: Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez announced Thursday that he has agreed to participate in next week’s Home Run Derby, according to the Associated Press.
Take that, LeBron … or something.
Brewers outfielder Corey Hart and Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday have also agreed to represent the National League, while Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz and Blue Jays outfielder Vernon Wells will participate for of the American League. An additional player from each league is still needed.
Hanley has tallied only 13 home runs in 311 at-bats this season, but he finished with 24 last year and a career-high 33 in 2009. He is currently batting .296/.376/.489.
The Home Run Derby will take place Monday night at Angels Stadium.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)