Jul 8, 2010, 10:25 PM EST
The Angels dropped a fourth straight game to the White Sox on Thursday afternoon and fell six games back of the Rangers in the American League West. Halos center fielder Torii Hunter, for one, is not happy about it.
Hunter told ESPN Los Angeles’ Mark Saxon that he thinks some of his teammates might be loafing it in anticipation of the much-need All-Star break.
“We might have some guys looking at the standings and seeing the
three games off for the All-Star break and kind of getting a little
loose, relaxed, don’t really want to do much,” Hunter said. “You can see it. Hopefully it’s not that. Every game, you’ve got to come out 100 percent ready and ready to play hard.
Hunter may be correct, but it can be awfully hard for a team to win baseball games when guys like Kevin Frandsen, Reggie Willits and Paul McAnulty are seeing regular playing time. Losing Kendry Morales was a major blow to the Angels’ chances this season and Bobby Abreu and Hideki Matsui have simply looked old.
The 34-year-old Hunter is at least doing his part. Named to his fourth All-Star game last weekend, he is batting .301/.383/.520 with 14 home runs and 60 RBI through 302 at-bats.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (308)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)