Jul 8, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Apparently, now that he’s filling in for an injured Todd Helton, Jason Giambi felt the need to be a little more Helton-like at the plate.
Giambi went 4-for-4 with two RBI as the Rockies beat the Cardinals 4-2 on Thursday. It’s a line that wouldn’t garner too much attention in most cases, but Giambi hadn’t had a four-hit game since Sept. 12, 2003.
Making it even more exceptional is that all four hits were singles. Giambi had singled four times in a game only twice before. The first time was on May 7, 1996, when he was a third baseman in his first full season in the majors. The second time was on July 7, 1999.
Giambi raised his average from .234 to .265 with the performance.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 23
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 82
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)