Jul 8, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Apparently, now that he’s filling in for an injured Todd Helton, Jason Giambi felt the need to be a little more Helton-like at the plate.
Giambi went 4-for-4 with two RBI as the Rockies beat the Cardinals 4-2 on Thursday. It’s a line that wouldn’t garner too much attention in most cases, but Giambi hadn’t had a four-hit game since Sept. 12, 2003.
Making it even more exceptional is that all four hits were singles. Giambi had singled four times in a game only twice before. The first time was on May 7, 1996, when he was a third baseman in his first full season in the majors. The second time was on July 7, 1999.
Giambi raised his average from .234 to .265 with the performance.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)