Jul 8, 2010, 6:45 PM EDT
Apparently, now that he’s filling in for an injured Todd Helton, Jason Giambi felt the need to be a little more Helton-like at the plate.
Giambi went 4-for-4 with two RBI as the Rockies beat the Cardinals 4-2 on Thursday. It’s a line that wouldn’t garner too much attention in most cases, but Giambi hadn’t had a four-hit game since Sept. 12, 2003.
Making it even more exceptional is that all four hits were singles. Giambi had singled four times in a game only twice before. The first time was on May 7, 1996, when he was a third baseman in his first full season in the majors. The second time was on July 7, 1999.
Giambi raised his average from .234 to .265 with the performance.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)