Jul 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez dominated the early season headlines, and rightfully so, but three straight poor starts have bumped his ERA from 1.15 to 2.27 and now Josh Johnson is the only starter in baseball with a sub-2.00 mark.
Johnson still can’t compete with Jimenez’s attention-grabbing win total, but after shutting out the Dodgers for eight innings yesterday he’s now 9-3 with a 1.70 ERA, .203 opponents’ batting average, and 123/28 K/BB ratio in 122 innings.
He’s reeled off 16 straight Quality Starts and has allowed just seven earned runs in his last 79 innings for a 0.80 ERA. And last night Johnson improved to 33-0 in his career when the Marlins’ lineup provides him with at least four runs of support.
My guess is that Jimenez will get the starting nod for the National League in the All-Star game because of his MLB-leading 14 wins and incredible amount of early attention, but Johnson has been the best pitcher in baseball this season and may be the most underrated ace in the game. Since returning from Tommy John elbow surgery in mid-2008 he’s 31-9 with a 2.86 ERA in 418.1 innings.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires