Jul 8, 2010, 10:13 AM EST
I imagine there have been worse “prepackaged” bankruptcies in the history of Anglo-American jurisprudence, but there hasn’t been one that got as much press as the Rangers’ has.
The latest: The Texas Attorney General urged the bankruptcy court yesterday to reject the team’s current reorganization plan. Add this to the fact that the bankruptcy trustee wants the Rangers’ lawyers off the case, that the creditors are objecting to the whole plan and that, rather than have this thing go through on greased skids, the restructuring officer has recommended that the team simply be auctioned, and you have an absolute mess.
The likelihood of this thing being done before the trade deadline has to be about nil at this point. The likelihood of Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan actually being the next owners of the Rangers is still high, but those odds are sinking.
The likelihood that Major League Baseball learns anything from this process such as, oh, I dunno, the folly of letting owners put their teams in the kind of debt Tom Hicks allowed the Rangers to get into? No man can say.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)