Jul 8, 2010, 12:20 AM EST
Industry sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that trade talks between the Rangers and Mariners regarding left-hander Cliff Lee “appear to be heating up.”
Sullivan, however, goes right on to say that nothing is imminent.
The Rangers are in a difficult position when it comes to making trades. With bankruptcy proceedings ongoing and ownership still up in the air, the team might not be able to take on additional cash in a trade.
However, that might not put a halt to talks here. The Mariners are far from desperate for cash and Lee, a free agent-to-be, only has about $4 million left on his contract. If it means getting extra talent in return, the Mariners will likely be open to picking up his salary in a deal.
I speculated last month on some of the possibilities to be included in a potential Roy Oswalt-to-Texas deal. Many of the same names could be in play here. The Mariners may hold out for first baseman Justin Smoak, which could be a dealbreaker. The Rangers have a wealth of young arms to barter with, but the Mariners are believed to be more focused on adding position players. The Twins appear to match up better with them in that department.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)