Jul 8, 2010, 12:20 AM EDT
Industry sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that trade talks between the Rangers and Mariners regarding left-hander Cliff Lee “appear to be heating up.”
Sullivan, however, goes right on to say that nothing is imminent.
The Rangers are in a difficult position when it comes to making trades. With bankruptcy proceedings ongoing and ownership still up in the air, the team might not be able to take on additional cash in a trade.
However, that might not put a halt to talks here. The Mariners are far from desperate for cash and Lee, a free agent-to-be, only has about $4 million left on his contract. If it means getting extra talent in return, the Mariners will likely be open to picking up his salary in a deal.
I speculated last month on some of the possibilities to be included in a potential Roy Oswalt-to-Texas deal. Many of the same names could be in play here. The Mariners may hold out for first baseman Justin Smoak, which could be a dealbreaker. The Rangers have a wealth of young arms to barter with, but the Mariners are believed to be more focused on adding position players. The Twins appear to match up better with them in that department.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)