Jul 8, 2010, 12:20 AM EDT
Industry sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that trade talks between the Rangers and Mariners regarding left-hander Cliff Lee “appear to be heating up.”
Sullivan, however, goes right on to say that nothing is imminent.
The Rangers are in a difficult position when it comes to making trades. With bankruptcy proceedings ongoing and ownership still up in the air, the team might not be able to take on additional cash in a trade.
However, that might not put a halt to talks here. The Mariners are far from desperate for cash and Lee, a free agent-to-be, only has about $4 million left on his contract. If it means getting extra talent in return, the Mariners will likely be open to picking up his salary in a deal.
I speculated last month on some of the possibilities to be included in a potential Roy Oswalt-to-Texas deal. Many of the same names could be in play here. The Mariners may hold out for first baseman Justin Smoak, which could be a dealbreaker. The Rangers have a wealth of young arms to barter with, but the Mariners are believed to be more focused on adding position players. The Twins appear to match up better with them in that department.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)